$1500 for a whole system, budding audiophile

Just imagine you're in high school now. You're going to budget $1500 on Amplification, speakers, and a source/ sources. Where do you spend your money to get you through college and an entry level job? Let's assume you have the computer covered and not include cables or headphones in the budget. New? Vintage? Mix of both?
128x128patrickrealtor76
I have not heard one, but have read nothing but good about the Arcam Solo Music. AM/FM receiver and cd player in one. I have considered buying one of them used for a bedroom system, but it should work well in this capacity as well. If one is patient, they can be found for less than $1000 on the used market shipped. That would leave $500 for speakers and speaker cables. The Solo Music is 4 ohm capable so there are many musically satisfying speakers available and compatible in your price range. The speaker choice would depend on sonic and aesthetic preferences then (floor stander or stand mount, bass quantity vs quality, type of music listened to, intended volume range, etc.).
I would put 400 into a used amp like a nad 3020, put 1200 into speakers like tekton lore or golden ear, then I second the idea of the schitt dac for 100 assuming you have a computer. There are many other ideas but I think putting as much as possible of your budget into speakers is the best way to go.
Personally if I started over for that dollar amount I would purchase:

Musical Paradise MP-301 mkIII - $400
Tekton Mini-Lores $650
Emotiva XDA-2 DAC - $250

That leaves about $200 to spend on your choice of budget cables...
I go the opposite of most people and put more into the electronics and less into the speakers. You can get awesome speakers for not a lot of money. I bought an $1200 pair of Celestion C100's for $200 in the past and have gotten other great deals on speakers. $400 for spkrs, $5-600 for int tube amp, $200 for 24 bit DVD player as cd player, $400 on TT
Used Peachtree Decco or Nova + Triangle Titus speakers (used) + subwoofer of your choice (if needed) and still maybe some money left for whatever else.