Has anyone else auditioned something that really was terrible?

I decided to check out Rotel on current B&W 804's, since I figured these speakers would be most similar to my older 803"s.Even the sales person had to admit it was not something I would want to listen to for any length of time.Do people buy this for background music?For around $4000 for a CD and integrated amp, it was not impressive. to say the least. It actually sounded like my first preamp, a Crown IC something or other.
Someone gave me a 125 wpc Marantz surround receiver.  I plugged it in and listened for 5 minutes, then permanently re-boxed it to sell, if I ever get around to it. It is totally unlistemable.
Am I just spoiled?
128x128danvignau
Kren0006:   I am in that category now with my family.  They looked at my Parasound amp, pre-amp and Martin Logan towers and were obviously puzzled that I would spend such money, when they already thought my old system was good.  I’m too old to be having another mid-life crisis, so I think they are attributing it to a semi-psychotic break resulting from the departure of my love mate.  (Might play a part)  😁

mtdining:  I’m surprised to see that you were not impressed by the KEF LS50s.  Steve Gutenberg and some other reviewers have raved about them, stating that they are their own reference speakers and, when combined with quality subs, would likely satisfy most discerning listeners.
Someone noted that he was surprised by the fact one of us did not like a KEF LS50 speakers.  After all, reviewer Steve Gutenberg uses them as a reference.  In a YouTube video. Nelson Pass shows his reference speakers, stating that they are not his best speakers, but are the best he has to show the differences between electronics.  Steve G did not say they are great.  He said that with the right sub, someone might be happy with them.  That is not a great endorsement.  
The worst system I ever heard was at a friends house. Before I tell the story, I'm a firm believer that we all hear things differently. Because I don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad product or that I'm right and others with differing opinions are wrong. I think that if you had 3  people in front of a system there's a good chance that you will get some differing opinions among the group.

My friend had been going through equipment trying to find the best fit for him and spending a lot of money churning gear. He acquired a very highly reviewed system and invited me over to hear it. Well I spent 20 minutes squirming in his listening chair and he finally asked me what was wrong. I reluctantly explained to that for me the sound was so harsh and in your face that I couldn't listen to it. That's a hard thing to tell a friend. In any case he ended up selling the system a few weeks later and downsized quite a bit to a system that sounded much better to everyone who heard it including his wife.  He has had the same system for the last 9 years. I won't name the products because I am sure to get flamed. My friend started a discussion on this when he sold the gear and the distributor had AGON take the thread down. 

The lesson I learned is not to buy anything that you haven't heard in your own listening room, if possible.
Well... I lusted after the original Revel Ultima Salon’s for years - highly reviewed and rated as A+ . Heard them many times at dealers and shows and dismissed the dull sound as associated equipment or room. Finally against what my ears were telling me I purchased my Salon’s... three amps, four pre-amps, and two different rooms later I sold them.

I do have a friend that own’s a pair plus the new Salon2’s as well and likes them very much. So hold your flames, clearly my ears are broken hence the name tinear123