1st time buyer: Paradigm vs Revel vs B&W vs ?

I am looking for a pair of speakers. I have a bonus room that is 20x15x10. I currently have an Onkyo HTIB The receiver is an Onkyo SR-607. The "CD player" is a PS3. roughly 50% TV, 20% Movies, 30% Music.

Most/all of you likely think my electronics are poor - i am planning to start with the speakers and then upgrade electronics later.

I have come to think i need a pair of floorstanding speakers (don't want stands) and have been reading about the revel F12, Paradigm studio 60 and 100s. I am hoping to buy used. I am hoping to spend 500-2K. Where do you think the best value lies between the various versions of paradigm 60s and 100s? Any other recommendation?
mdmarchand
My B&W 805s have been in and out of my main system (with a sub). I think with B&W stands they are tough to beat for flexibility, stereo staging, and the ability to play really, really loud! Plus, they look very nice and non obtrusive in almost any decor, if that matters.
The other consideration will be placement in your room. Whatever you buy will ahve the potentail to satisfy you, but also disappoint depending on your room placement restrictions. Jammed in a corner against walls = bad, pulled out somewhat into the room (to varying degrees) = good - as a general rule. Be sure that as you listen, you at least notice the positioning of the speakers in relation to others you audition. If at all possible, position what you listen to in close approximation to how they'll be in your room. The room is an important factor in what you buy. hardwood or carpet? sparse furniture or heavy 'overstuffed' couches, things like that. At least one sub is a must for movies. You can get by without for a while, but once you do buy one and set it up right you'll wonder how you did without.
I personally believe any of the speakers you've mentioned could prove very satisfying. I'm new on this journey as well, and have learned that electronics can bring out the best in speakers (or hinder them), and to be blunt, I'm not sure it'll matter much which of the ones you've listened to you buy, I think you'll be happy. Those of us reading your posts have our opinions based on our tastes and experience, and we're happy to share (I like PSB's, B&W, Focal, and Vandersteens too), but the setup in your room, and the associated electronics will be a big factor. If you have little experience, as you say, ignorance might be bliss to a degree - I keep listening to more and more speakers as I contemplate my upgrade, and keep hearing new nuances as I go up the price scale. I agree with those suggesting buying from your dealer to support him. He may be willing to agree a home trial (some do, some don't, some reserve that for 5-figure purchases), as that's the final arbiter of the sound - how they sound TO YOU in YOUR room, with your wife looking at them.
The absolute best bang for the buck is the B&W 683's...for $1500 a pair and spec's reflective of it's more expensive brother, the 804....yeah, give them a listen!
Let your ears be the judge.....I have owned bookshelf speakers from Paradigm ,B&W, PSB,KEF and enjoyed them all.

My current speaker is the Revel M106. I listened to them for about five minutes and knew they were just right for me. Great little speaker but need a sub like any small speaker for satisfying full range sound. If you are patient you could buy a pair used and still have some of your budget left for a sub. The Revel M22 is a great speaker too that are starting to pop up used.

A buddy of mine has a pair of B&W 805 and I think the M106 sound better, but like anything that is a matter of taste.
What about the SVS Ultra Towers. Well reviewed and they seem to have a generous trial period and free shipping both ways if you don't like them. Just another option.