So many drivers.....better sound or just more sound?

I am sitting in Seattle cut off from my job by the virus: the world all around me is going nutsy....so naturally my mind drifted to the question....."why so many drivers in some speakers?"  This has bugged me since i first heard the Pipedreams (twenty or so 4 inch drivers all the same in a row.... such a different design principle.  I would think you would want the best driver you could afford for a given application....cover the frequency range as accurately as you can afford and then worry about volume level, air moved etc.  For instance, i heard some McIntosh speakers at a friend's house a few months back.  they had 12 mids and 4 high drivers if i remember.  I guess maybe a bigger sound stage ?  That wan't obvious to me in my listening to them.   Am i missing something obvious?   Legacy speakers use like 11 drivers in a set of speakers.....how can they do that?  I would love to know the cost per driver of various speakers.    Not a deep subject but,  i am addled by rain, boredom and the fear that my 401 k is gone..........
Thanks
sm2727
"why so many drivers in some speakers?"
Depends. Reasons vary. 

The current reigning champ is Eric Alexander at Tekton. In studying the physics of sound Eric realized the moving mass of a lot of instruments (violin or guitar strings, etc) is very low, often on the order of a gram or so. The typical moving mass of a midrange driver on the other hand is often times an order of magnitude greater. Eric reasoned it is difficult bordering on impossible for that mass to accurately reproduce the harmonics and timbre unique to each instrument. From this he had the insight, low mass tweeters can do this, and if enough are used will reproduce midrange better than one large midrange driver.

So that's one. One down. Who knows how many more to go....

Lots of cheap tweeters with breakup ( non pistonic motion ) in the passband is not the answer....