Extra power or cleaner power?

I'm putting a system together and am thinking through some of the factors which might contribute to the overall sound quality. I realize that testing things out as I go is the best way, so I'm asking this question not to get advice about what to do next but to understand how folks understand and weigh these factors.

Let's start with a predicted factor -- the speakers. From the speaker description:

Anticipated speakers: Salk SS 6M
Response +/- 3db — 35Hz - 40kHz
Sensitivity — 90 db
Impedance — 8 ohms
Amplification — 50 watts (or 30wpc, tube amp)
Alignment — Front slot port
Dimensions — 9 W x 20 H x 14 D

Some (atma-sphere, decooney) have suggested on this forum that even a 60 wpc tube would be great for these speakers. So, here's my question —

Assume that I could get a very good 40 wpc tube amp to drive these speakers to sufficient listening levels (85 db at about 10 feet), for my kind of music (jazz, classical), and peaks in my (400 sq ft) listening space.

With these assumptions, the question becomes one of priorities. I could either spend additional dollars to (a) buy a more powerful amp or (b) spend that money on a power regenerator. Also assume that if I do *not* buy a regenerator, I'd still do *something* to improve the power (some kind of improvement but much less expense).

The question is: with those assumptions, what do you think would add more to the sound quality? More power or cleaner power?

Perhaps this is an impossible theoretical question to answer. If so, I'd like to know that, too!

Thanks!
128x128hilde45
+ Al and Mesch

much can be done at the panel and outlet and relatively inexpensive conditioner for small signal devices. Imo power amps rarely sound better in an affordable PC.

on power amps, but the best output transformer you can afford - that will greatly impact the sound quality. Try running it on the 4 even 2 ohm taps ( light loading re Roger Modjeski rip) which will keep amp in class A longer.

of course you might also see if one of Ralph’s transformersless amps will work.

have fun

enjoy the music
brotw-
I don't have a dedicated space, I don't care for a TV in the room. The plasma/dvd player get wheeled in. Couple of connections...good to go! After the show, back in the closet.

TV between the speakers is a sonic killer anyhow.

I'm WAY behind the times. Just do over the air reception-with great results. Plenty of PBS and sub channels. Practically cable for free.
@tablejockey Yes, TV is so overrated, but my kids would suggest otherwise. Really good sounding 2 channel is such a treat, just had to find a way to get the TV away from between the speakers.

The back panel of the TV is within inches of the front wall during listening. Not having to invest good money for a separate HT is great. Half the depreciation of audio and TV gear is another perk.

Back on topic - the OLED certainly benefits from the clean power.
I’d agree with doing dedicated lines.  They’ll probably only cost about 10% or so what a good power conditioner would cost and you can use the rest of the $ to get better outlets and power cables.  Unlike additional amp power, these power-related improvements will benefit your entire system and put you in a better position to decide on a power conditioner or if you even need one at all.  Of course this all assumes you have enough power to effectively drive your speakers, and Jim Salk will be able to to point you in the best direction there.  Best of luck. 
I would only bother with a power conditioner of any sort only after you have sorted out what amp you are using. Many of the 'high end' audio conditioners are so much junk so you can really send $$$$$ down the loo quite easily!

Just make sure your house wiring is up to code- at least in your audio room! I don't run conditioning at home.

The PS Audio regenerators (which are really power conditioners, not just glorified power strips) are some of the best we've seen in high end audio. There is a company called Elgar that made excellent conditioners also- which were never offered to high end audio. Most of them are quite old at this point and so will need refurbishment, but often this is a lot less expensive than most of the 'solutions' seen in high end audio.