Can someone explain to me why : Accupahse Equipment is that expensive ?

…….I was recently looking into their Power Conditioners as well as their Amplifiers and for a company where there is very little reviews done on their products, along with a small ( here in the US anyway )  almost a cult following if someone could tell me why is their prices the way they are. I just don't understand it. I have listened to their equipment and is nice and the build quality is very good but ; I always said to myself ; '' Not for that price ". I do not mean to be in an any way inflammatory with this statement but is :  Accuphase the McIntosh of the East ?  McIntosh makes some nice stuff but is no way priced like Accuphase, however it seems to operate very much with the same business model ; you are paying for the name and the pride of ownership and the sound is very much dated. Maybe I am missing something here and the sound is very good and like Rolex you buy a piece and you are set for a lifetime. FM Acoustics is also another one of the those companies......Just looking for a really good amp and these companies come up in my search but I am just sitting here scratching my head ?           
garebear
d2girls
... Dealer was so rude, just in the tone of his voice and the way he handled things. I didn’t even talk about some other things he said. No way to treat a customer.
At one time or another, I think many audiophiles have experienced this class of "customer service" and there's no excuse for it, regardless of price. I'd walk out and never return.
cleeds +1

Also if you guys were in the store with me and heard how I was being spoken to you’d be singing a different tune. 
Actually d2, we were more or less agreeing with you.

@d2girls

I am so sorry you ran into this level of snobbery. I’m afraid that’s part of the luxury brand attitude in the US. I remember going to buy a Volvo or an Audi. Similar cars, and price points. The Volvo dealer spent most of his time on his cell phone.

I would like to say that Luxman dealers are not like this, but it has been 50 / 50. One was very laid back, happy to show me anything from D’Agostinos to Luxman or Rogue. No problem. Another, within driving distance, was a douche at a show.

I have a really tough time buying Accuphase at US prices, given the disparity with Japanese prices.

If I’m not mistaken, Luxman was doing the same thing, which was driven due to the US distributor wanting to keep an air or exclusivity, so they kicked him out and started their own distributorship, at the same time they have ramped up new product introductions. It seems to be working out much better for them. You should listen, since in Japan they are about the same price point.

Best,

E
I also want to point out a weird thing I've seen often in different industries. A good example is vitamins. I used to subscribe to Consumer Labs. They would buy all sorts of supplements and test their quality.

Invariably, the most expensive brands were among the worst. They would have too much, too little, or contaminated products.

The middle of the road brands often had the highest quality with labels that best matched the contents.

I've seen this repeatedly. When people don't have good ears, they use their eyes and the price tag to shop.

Best,

E
The best CD player I ever owned was an Accuphase. I wish I never sold it.