Can someone explain to me why : Accupahse Equipment is that expensive ?

…….I was recently looking into their Power Conditioners as well as their Amplifiers and for a company where there is very little reviews done on their products, along with a small ( here in the US anyway )  almost a cult following if someone could tell me why is their prices the way they are. I just don't understand it. I have listened to their equipment and is nice and the build quality is very good but ; I always said to myself ; '' Not for that price ". I do not mean to be in an any way inflammatory with this statement but is :  Accuphase the McIntosh of the East ?  McIntosh makes some nice stuff but is no way priced like Accuphase, however it seems to operate very much with the same business model ; you are paying for the name and the pride of ownership and the sound is very much dated. Maybe I am missing something here and the sound is very good and like Rolex you buy a piece and you are set for a lifetime. FM Acoustics is also another one of the those companies......Just looking for a really good amp and these companies come up in my search but I am just sitting here scratching my head ?           
garebear
Like mentioned earlier regarding products from the US to Asia countries its the same, Example Pass XA 100.8 in Vietnam are double what they are in the US. 
Living in Vietnam now for 8 years Accuphase is very reasonable here and I prefer Accuphase over Pass any day.
What is anything "worth"?  Probably what people are willing to pay for it.  It almost sounds silly to say that, but if you look at the resale values for lots of items on Audiogon, most other brands depreciate much faster than Accuphase and McIntosh.
I will share a story that I had while I was searching for my new power amplifier to buy. This happened about 3 weeks ago.

I wanted Accuphase E-800 but cost is $21,000 USD. I call my local store that sells Accuphase (just 10 minutes from me, PlanetofSound, they appear to be a subsidiary of parent company of the North American distributor, should this be illegal, I don’t know) and I ask them for pricing on E-800, ask if perhaps they had a demo unit that I could buy and if they would help with financing. 

Yes, Accuphase so expensive I could not seriously consider without borrowing a portion of the amp cost, besides if I pay back in 12 months no interest so it seemed like a good idea.

Anyway. Dealer was rude. Requested I come to store to discuss price. Since I am so close I did. When I got there he still would not give me a straight answer about price of the E-800 and I had to coax the answer out of him with much difficulty: CAD $28,000.

Obviously I expected this, since price of E-800 is $21,000 USD which is equal to $28,000 Canadian dollar. So I ask him if I were prepared to pay 2/3 up front as a non-fee payment, with the rest payable on arrival or when I qualified for the financing, would he be prepared to give me a 20 percent discount. He said no. He would not give me any discount at all not even if I paid cash.

I knew from the minute I walked into the store that he had no interest in making a sale with me. When I walked in he was not even busy, talking to a fellow employee and he asked me to wait as he was helping a customer setup his cart on his turntable. Someone was already helping that customer, I observed them simply talking and ignoring me... very frustrating service. But okay. What I couldn’t accept was the fact he wouldn’t budge on ANY sort of discount. I can’t believe this.

I’ve yet to contact the distributor but I have a feeling he won’t be sympathetic to my plight. I have a strong suspicion that the owner of the distributor for the company is content to have far fewer units sold at higher prices. He does not care about making less money due to this pricing strategy. I highly suspect management at Accuphase is also content in letting this happen. Maybe fact, they probably laugh at us North Americans paying these prices.

Price of an E-800 in Japan brand new, from the dealer is ¥980,000. That is just a hair over $9000 USD. Instead, Audio Alliance sees fit to charge $21,000 Does this sound fair to you? 
Post removed 
d2girls
I call my local store that sells Accuphase (just 10 minutes from me, PlanetofSound, they appear to be a subsidiary of parent company of the North American distributor, should this be illegal, I don’t know) ...
Why should that be illegal??
So I ask him ... would he be prepared to give me a 20 percent discount. He said no. He would not give me any discount at all not even if I paid cash. ... What I couldn’t accept was the fact he wouldn’t budge on ANY sort of discount. I can’t believe this.
Why? Do you think he owes you a discount? Perhaps the dealer never discounts. Maybe he reserves discounts for only his best customers, which is an understandable policy.

I agree that the US prices for Accuphase seem excessive, but who cares? There’s so much else to choose from!