Futterman. Jump in? Or, not so fast...

Today I heard a Futterman OTL powering a pair of Quad ESL57s. The Futterman has been recently serviced and is in nice shape. It sounded wonderful. I understand this is a rare beast.

I've been advised a set of tubes can last 10,000 hours. But these are not common tubes and they need to be closely matched, an their are 12 of them. If I were to buy this amp I'd immediately start worrying about putting together a backup set of spares, which could run into quite a bit of money.

So - Futterman owners - what say ye?  Jump on the chance to own a legend? Or stick with my "set and forget" Quad 909 powering my ESL 2805s...
128x128markusthenaimnut

Roger Modjeski (Music Reference) held the Futterman OTL in high regard (the Quad ESL as well), and his RAM Tube Works has the tubes needed for them, computer tested, graded, and matched.

But Modjeski designed an amp using the Quad as the load, and is another great amp for the speaker: The Music Reference RM-10 (original, or Mk.2). Only a single pair of EL84's per channel for 35 watts per. Much cheaper to retube than a Futterman, and in the RM-10 the 84's last 5,000-10,000 hours.

If the price is reasonable, go for it! Futterman OTLs are the Holy Grail of tube amplifiers!  I have three. A Harvard Music H3 using four 6HB5's per channel and a pair of H3aa's using six 6LF6's per mono amp. I have two pairs of Quad 57's and a pair of KLH Nines to use with them.

Awesome @roberjerman! State-Of-The-Art in the 60’s, and still great. One of Modjeski’s last designs was an ESL loudspeaker and a direct-drive OTL amp with which to drive it. No amplifier output transformer, no ESL input transformer, the tubes drove the ESL stators directly!

On his Audiocircle Music Reference Forum Roger discusses the design of the Futterman OTL, which he considered brilliant. Breaking current thinking on the subject, it employs very large amounts of negative feedback, one benefit being very low output impedance (in contrast to the high output impedance of all other OTL's).

Roberjerman - Thanks for the comment. I had sent you a message a day or two ago and it appears you might not have noticed. Can you tell me how many hours you get out of a set of tubes on the H3aa's? I've read somewhere that they will go 10,000 hours, but I'm not really sure how many hours the current set has on them. The  amp comes with test results for all 12 tubes. But I can't imagine not buying a back-up set of tubes, which will cost quite a bit. How often are you having to re-tube your amps?