AT 33SA or OC9 for 1200 mk5

Been trying to narrow down a cart after my 301 mk2 received damage. I extended my budget to include the 33SA, but have been going back and forth with the Shibata and Micro line stylus.

The PTG/2 was at the top of my list until I started hearing more about the 33SA. However I have spoken with a few people about their bias towards the OC9XSL which then gets debated in a few threads over the OC9 with the micro line stylus.

My phonostage is a Phonomena 2, I have the 12g Zupreme headshell but still have the stock headshell if needed, upgrades include the Cardas rewire.

Smooth top end and controlling sibliance is a high priority, seems most AT carts in this range do this while some are better than others.

What started as what I thought was an easy choice has my head in circles..lol.

I'm not well versed on how cart compliance affects the end result if cart choice is not carefully selected.

All input appreciated.
dyl71
I did just recently replace the stoxk tonearm wires with Cardas Litz as well as Cardas RCA cables on a new PCB. Also used the Cardas Quad Euctextic silver solder, just haven't had the chance to audition the changes yet.
I have owned both the 33SA and the OC9iii.

The 33SA was a smidge better overall, but with pricing it should be.  I think your arm is a tweener that work with either.   My gut says that the OC9iii might be better with its higher compliance.  I run the Art9 at the moment, but bang for buck in the AT line, is hard to best the OC9iii if you have the arm to match it.

I don't recommend the OC9ii, I don't think it is as balanced sounding as the iii.   If you have  a warm leaning system, maybe it would be a good choice then.
@gibsonian  What are your thoughts of the micro line vs the shibato? Does the ML start to lean away from musical.. but not implying analytical? These 3 carts, the ART9, OC9/iii, and the 33PTG are looking like you need to own all of them...lol.
"I’ve heard that from a couple people... I’m also a believer in "buy once cry once" also so that doesn’t help my budget...lol."
dyk71- I get it. Audio as a hobby, can be a wallet breaker.The great thing about any AT cart, is there is a model for most price points.

This is Audio-Technica MicroLine stylus, the benefit of this stylus is very long life span (1200hrs at least). This is the most resolving and accurate stylus. But apart from ML there are many similar under different names like MicroRidge, MicroReach, SAS, Repliacant 100, Gyger, VdH ....

Shibata is very good profile too, but again there are different names Stereohedron, FineLine, Vital, Micro Tracer ... depends on the manufacturer and patent.

The statement that one profile is more "musical" than another is false. There are good and bad profiles, some people like bad profiles and call them "musical" (a conical for example). The profile must have a wide contact groove area, so you can actually hear what’s on the record. With cheap profiles you can’t hear something, you lose frequency extensions (the wound is rolled -off). Cartridge signal generator, coil wire, magnet type ... everything important. 

There are many more very interesting cartridges in the world that AT or all the usual suspects. Do not stick to one brand if you want to try something interesting.