AT 33SA or OC9 for 1200 mk5

Been trying to narrow down a cart after my 301 mk2 received damage. I extended my budget to include the 33SA, but have been going back and forth with the Shibata and Micro line stylus.

The PTG/2 was at the top of my list until I started hearing more about the 33SA. However I have spoken with a few people about their bias towards the OC9XSL which then gets debated in a few threads over the OC9 with the micro line stylus.

My phonostage is a Phonomena 2, I have the 12g Zupreme headshell but still have the stock headshell if needed, upgrades include the Cardas rewire.

Smooth top end and controlling sibliance is a high priority, seems most AT carts in this range do this while some are better than others.

What started as what I thought was an easy choice has my head in circles..lol.

I'm not well versed on how cart compliance affects the end result if cart choice is not carefully selected.

All input appreciated.
dyl71

Showing 6 responses by dyl71

@gibsonian  What are your thoughts of the micro line vs the shibato? Does the ML start to lean away from musical.. but not implying analytical? These 3 carts, the ART9, OC9/iii, and the 33PTG are looking like you need to own all of them...lol.
"If you can up your game a few more, the ART9 is unquestionably a step above"

I’ve heard that from a couple people... I’m also a believer in "buy once cry once" also so that doesn’t help my budget...lol.

Surely is an option but have to do a lot more homework first.

I did just recently replace the stoxk tonearm wires with Cardas Litz as well as Cardas RCA cables on a new PCB. Also used the Cardas Quad Euctextic silver solder, just haven't had the chance to audition the changes yet.
Thank you for the replies. I did place an order for the 33PTG/2, as well as the KAB cardas wires and fluid damper. I'll surely report back once it's up and running.

I agree you cannot have too many carts, so after a while I will look to add maybe the SA33 or ART9, as well as other possible manufacturers but those two are on the radar.
 I bought this used a few years ago from the original owner and he barely used it but did not have the extra weight.

Thank you for the link.
To update this, I installed the 33PTG/2 yesterday and pretty much have it dialed in to the Baerwald arc. I just need to fine tune the azimuth but had to shove off to work yesterday but was able to play a few tracks.
With the cart, and the Cardas wire upgrade, I was absolutely thrilled at the results. I was waiting for that sibilance after I noticed the increased air and liveliness surrounding all aspects of the recording, but the highs were very well controlled. There was no sense of brightness, all the high notes and vocals just seem to be just right, no sibilance at all.

There was a small setback as I tried the 10g Zupreme headshell with the PTG, along with the AT headshell wires. This combo tipped the scales at right about (IIRC) 19.7g and the stock counterweight could not level this out. I could have just gone with the 1.8-2.2g tracking force but wanted to be able to at least balance the assembly...I may try this later anyway,
So I used the stock headshell to begin with which the entire assembly weighed in at 17.25g with the AT headshell wires and did balance out. Using the HiFi news Test LP I have a resonance at 9 Hz.
Overall it was somewhat of a wow moment in regards to clarity, detail, and control.