Your first system and your journey...

Since we are on a audiophile (or is that audio-pile) site many, if not most, have had some decent systems.  I would enjoy in hearing from all/any about what your first system was made up of.  Mine was a Dynaco, I think something like a 35, tube integrated with some small British two way speakers and a BSR McDonald turntable with something like a 44E Shure cartridge , ...and yes, lamp cord for wires and whatever came on the turntable.  It is almost sad to say I have spent much more on some interconnects than that first system cost. 
whatjd
And to add a bit of nothing to my original post, one of my best friends Mom had a truck stop/diner near a small Iowa town.  She would let us use the quarters with the fingernail polish on them (so she would get them back) to play early 60s rock until she couldn't take it any longer.....had our 8th grade "Graduation Party" there.  It was the beginning of the British Invasion and I went to sleep every night listening to WLS from Chicago or KAAY from Little Rock.  Went through a great deal of paper route money on 9-volt batteries. 
My first "system" was a $20 portable phonograph. It was followed shortly thereafter by an H. H. Scott integrated turntable/receiver with Scott speakers, manufactured when Mr. Scott no longer owned the company. The first system that I would refer to without the quotes, though, consisted of a Sony turntable, Shure cartridge, Kenwood receiver, and Avid speakers, ca. 1978.

Best regards,
-- Al

Almost forgot about the portable record player. Closed up like a mini suitcase. That would've been 69, 69, something like that. But I can't count that, because it wasn't "mine". As in I didn't buy it. My first system really was a system.
1) Motorola portable record player...yes it folded like a suitcase ~ 1964
2) a little red Lear Jet portable 8 track tape player, hitachi portable cassette player, Panasonic Transistor Radio
3) Sanyo compact stereo system
4) separates from Lafayette Radio 1978
5) Hitachi Class G receiver and Ohm L speakers, Philips 312 Table 1978
6) Tandberg receiver And Ohm Walsh 2s and Linn turntable, Magnavox CD player
7) Tandberg and Magnepan and Sony CD player
8) Carver separates and Magnepan
9) Carver Separates and B&W
10) Carver separates and New Ohm Walsh, Roku and Logitech streamers
11) Musical Fidelity and ARC and Ohms, MHDT Dac
12) Bel Canto ARC and Ohms
My first stereo was a carpeted 8track player with built in speakers at the foot of my bed.
 Had two carpeted cushioned stools which slid under it.
  I was 10 or eleven years old, and I would play 4 8 tracks nightly,
bill joel 42nd st.
styx grand illusion and paradise theatre.
kiss destroyer.

Upon my my early teens, I ventured into my dads reel to reel, and old Beatles, waylon, strawberry alarm clock records and a bunch more were daily spun.

Had a few stereos since then,lots of good gear.

currently happy w my current gear.
hope to get 10 more years from components.