Moving up from a Node 2i

I want to keep it between 1K and 1500.00, closer to a grand if at all possible. I don't care about onboard DACs, since I have a keen liking for mine. What is out there for a streamer, new or used, that will sound better than the Node when outputting to an external DAC? I like the functionality of the Node, don't want something with a sketchy user interface. But honestly, I think my old Allo Digione (Raspberry Pi) might have sounded a little more organic and fleshed out than the Node.

What say ye, Audiogon?

Oz

128x128ozzy62
From my limited knowledge of streaming, it’s seems the consensus is USB seems better than coax?
There is probably something wrong about my system, as I love the way my Node 2i sounds, with a older modded Museatex-Meitner DAC. Not so much with the built in DAC.

But to be honest, I locked into the 60's and 70's station and haven't looked back.
@gelle said:
From my limited knowledge of streaming, it’s seems the consensus is USB seems better than coax?
Actually, my experience has been...it depends. Some of my equipment is too noisy on its USB output (on that system I use Toslink due to the galvanic isolation). And as @laserjock1963 pointed out, my Node 2i doesn’t have USB so I had to decide if I liked the Coax or the Toslink better. So, my stance is choose the interconnects between your gear that provides the best experience for you.

It's been a few years, but I did a shootout with all the various digital output types when I had a bunch of gear that allowed it.

My findings, (and this strictly MY preference) were:

1. Tie---I2S and Firewire (very rare to find)
2.  AES/EBU
3. Coax on BNC
4. Coax on RCA
5. USB
6. Glass Fiber
7. Toslink

This was probably 4-5 years ago.  Has the USB interface changed?  I found it to be one of my least favorite?  Just curious, because I've never looked back towards USB after this...
Like I said ,  not a lot of experience. But for me SBT via USB (using EDO) into my Oppo 105 sounds better than CoAx.