Help me understand John Coltrane .... seriously.

Hi Everyone,
Listen I have a favor to ask, and those of you better educated in Jazz can help me.

I always have a tough time listening to John Coltrane. It's like he's talking a different language.
Can any of you point me to recordings I should listen to on Tidal or Quboz or whatever that set me up to better appreciate the man?

Thank you for the musical education.

Best,

E
erik_squires
@gosta  LOL. That's not far from the truth! BUT consider this, every one of those notes was exactly on time.....
I empathize with Eric and apparently some others; I, too, like hearing music with a "melody" as someone here stated.  I haven't yet tried to see how much/if I can appreciate jazz, but might give it a try after reading this thread.  I worked once with someone who just loved jazz, tried a time or two at his place to listen, but it was not for me, then.  I'm (much) older at the moment, with a lot more time (retired, consult on and off), three setups with three different sounds/equipment, so enough variables and time to give this a serious try.  But, again as might have been stated here, this should not be work, it should be pleasure, and visceral at least as much as intellectual.  Some of the music I love would be laughed at were I to list it here, but its important music to me, for a host of reasons, including memories, linkage to my long-dead parents, my youth.  I am certain many here share that type of connection.  
I don't think it is wrong to work at something before giving up.

Imagine tennis, golf or chess. Neither seems that enjoyable when it feels like all you are doing is chasing a ball or having your ass handed to you by an 8 year old online. We all start that way. Even if you think you didn't, I am sure you had influencers who brought these to you. Same for music, I think. That I realize now that I've lacked those is why I'm reaching out.

Professional musicians need not compare themselves to my plight. :)

Best,

E
I’m still not a big fan of Bitches Brew,  but at the same time I get why historically it is such a famous landmark recording.  
Erik,

Might help to mention what jazz you DO like.

For a Trane newbie, I'd suggest Ascension.
I'm joking.
I'd try these in order:

Lush Life (Prestige)
Coltrane Plays The Blues (Atlantic)
My Favorite Things (Atlantic)
Bags And Trane (Atlantic)

"My Favorite Things" is an obvious influence on rock musicians, you can hear it in his solos on that track.

I've been exactly where you are.  Don't force it, let the music come to you.