Recomend Some Albums Recorded with True Imaging.

I am looking for some recommendations of some albums recorded for true imaging.  By that I mean a group of people playing acoustic instruments recorded old school with just two microphones.    Not songs mixed from multiple tracks and balanced to give the impression they are playing in the center.    I have recently been relistening to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will the Circle be Unbroken".   This is a raw recording where they found the best bluegrass and early county artists,  sat them down in a studio,   took one take,  and (probably) recording them with just 2 microphones for stereo.  No mixing and minimal processing.  What they played in the room is exactly what you hear.   The results for imaging is all I can say is wow.   Even with a half decent system you can close your eyes and tell where ever instrument is playing from and where they are standing.   And it is the first time I finally understood the phrase " the speakers disappear".

While my main preference is 70's progressive rock I don't think I will find it there.    But Jazz,  Bluegrass, Blues or Classical would be good.  Any suggestions.
delkal

OK

RCA LSP 2527 N2PY 1268

This is the 1962 stereo release of Sonny Rollins - “The Bridge”.  It was also issued in Mono but I don’t know what that sounds like.  There are lots of Jazz Buffs around here who can probably tell you a lot more than I know about the production of this record but it may be what you’re after.  It’s just sax, bass, and drums, and some guitar in a room.  I don’t know for sure how it was miked but it sounds very real, very natural.  I don’t have another album that sounds as real in tone, space, and dimension as this one.  I mean, it plays like it’s 3 (or 4) fantastic musicians in my living room - each one in their own specific actual life size holographic space.  It’s like the players are set up in my room.  You can tell where each player was located left to right and the interaction/reverberation/overlap of instruments sounds very realistic.  It this was done by mixing separate tapes I’d be very surprised.  

I love this whole record.  Both music and SQ.  But, If you want to just sample it before purchase it it’s on the streaming services.  You might just try the wonderful track “God Bless the Child”.  It’s on compilations too including the essential sonny Rollins RCA recordings and some others.  

I know this album has been remastered at least a couple of times   Might be interesting to compare  

I’ll try to think of some others not mentioned yet.  

Happy listening. 

friday night san francisco, the 3 guitarists only play together side 2, 2nd and 3rd track. Vinyl!

when setting up a new cartridge, after test records, I use those 2 tracks to make the final anti-skate adjustment

When you get it right the left and right guitars, even though they are different body types, and different strings, sound balanced, center guitar comes alive, and live audience sounds equal l/r.

If ’off’ you strain to hear it ’right’ and don’t enjoy it nearly as much as when you have the confidence to know it’s balanced. Then, you become involved, immersed it the compositions and skills.

I have it on CD, Vinyl is better on a darn good, well set up TT.

remote balance.

I found, and I think you would truly enjoy and benefit from remote balance.

MANY tracks (already in your collection) are slightly off balance, a slight tweak can make a large difference, imaging, everything ’opens up’, there is a lot of hidden magic that is unappreciated if off just a bit.

I used to walk forward and back, a real PITA. I got and love this Remote Line Controller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chase-Technologies-RLC-1-REMOTE-LINE-CONTROLLER-Complete-In-Original-Box-NEW/333463145628?hash=item4da3f3cc9c:g:bV8AAOSwEDFdpQFT

Absolutely No Noise is True. s/n 105db. I and my audiophile friends, pre-disposed to simple signal path, can never tell if in line or not.

Nicely, it remembers last input used, and last volume level. Several other features/benefits but it’s primary use is to tweak balance.

My friend moved his wonderful system to a space with left speaker near a wall, other side open. Never gonna be perfect, but his solves the problem to a great extent.

phase reversal

you may want to follow this phase reversal thread

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/how-to-tell-if-lp-is-recorded-with-phase-reversed

Imaging is usually executed by multi-miking.  Old jazz standards from the 1960's and early 1970's are the best for my tastes.  A mic on stage left, a mike on stage right, and often, a mike on the soloist.  Unfortunately, the bass suffers on many of these mixes, because nearly anyone had a lot of power back then for good woofs.  At least try to get analogue recordings.  AVOID anything early on that brags about being purely digital.   
Night Train, Oscar Peterson Trio

You might love a small jazz trio right in the room with you

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAHAWMO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I own a lot of Oscar Peterson, this one is wonderful, listened to it last night.