Help in putting together my system with used equipment on Audiogon and eBay.

I’m looking for the best bang for the buck. What equipment can I find that would make the best system for my budget ($8000)? I'm starting out with:

Pass Labs X1 Preamp, my rock to start with. I got it for $2500 This is where you can help me the most. Let me know your best match for this pre-amp, or the ones you have found to be the best you have heard!

Bryston 4B SST amp for about $1700. It’s been my experience that more power wakes up a speaker and pins it’s ears back. At 300wpc and the reviews on this amp I picked it, but just to start. I really need some experienced people to give me recommendations for the amp, or if the Bryston is a winner. I can sell this for a better amp.

Do I need a DAC?

Phono. I’ve realized that might be a big reason why people go to separates isn’t it? I’d like to hear some comments on this. If you have separates and no phono, what do you use? Stream music? CD’s?

CD player? I do have a lot of CD’s. With separates, it’s either phono, cd, or streaming correct?

I’m not really a phono guy, but I know which albums I would buy so it is an option. I wouldn’t know a good phono if you hit me with it. Please recommend a few.

I’m leaning toward B&W speakers just because of their reputation. I may spend up to 5k on a good pair of speakers, but I want them to be used and costing much more when bought new. I know how to spot a good deal and not buy speakers on their death bed (from reputable sellers), but I need your recommendations too. You all have heard more speakers than I ever have and will.

**I’m going to check this post often and answer any questions and write down your recommendations.
I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR THIS, IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME!
128x128imabucfan
I too am retired and loving it !! Long time audio fan with many audio systems over the years . I wouldn’t consider myself a audio perfectionist - but was a musician a long time ago so I know what I want my sound to be at an affordable budget for me. As for what I listen to it’s all over the place - Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays , Steely Dan, Chicago, Andrea Bocelli, Earth Wind and Fire, Brazilian Bossa Nova ( Marcos Valle, Ivan Lins, Elaine Elias ) , Rippingtons, Jeff Lorber - too much to mention. All CD’s I own and play through a bluetooth device. 2 years ago I bought most of my gear used - I wanted a simple system with clean tight sound on a very limited budget. I started with a used Emotiva XDA-1 Preamp / DAC , a used Parasound HCA MK1200 II Amp and a new Audioengine Bluetooth receiver. I plug all this into a Tripp Lite surge protector. My cables and wires are generic. For speakers I bought a new pair of the Polk Audio LSiM 705’s - I love the sound they produce - clean , not bright and tight bass. These might work for you and currently you can buy them direct from Polk Audio at 50% off ( wish I got in on this deal) . Hope this helps https://www.polkaudio.com/products/lsim705  Everyday for a couple hours I sit back and listen to this setup and am still thrilled how great it sounds - for me I couldn't be happier. Good luck with the search !!

all in one (analog + digital):  Naim Audio Uniti Atom (about 3k)

phono preamp: Schiit Mani (about $150)

tt: Audio technica LP7 ($700)
MM cartridge: Nagaoka MP150 (about 250)

subwoofer: HSU research ULS 15 ($800) (600 watts RMS)
main speakers: JBL Studio 290 (1200 per pair)

You will still have money left over

I can not imagine listening to Klipsch with out having a tube amp. I’ve had Pass preamps and tube amps or Nelson Pass’ First Watt SIT 3 (tube sounds without the tubes) for low watts, Conrad Johnson for tubes or Triode Labs or Cary Audio as well for tubes. Your ears will thank you. I’ve been down this road as well. Private Message me if you like. 
From my 40 years in Audio I have found having Vacuum tubes in the mix is a Big plus. Bryson is decent ,good value but not the most musical amps out there.
there are great integrated amps that 
may give more the the money such as a Pass Labs class A 60wpc integrated amp. Not knowing your speakers which 
I put first onthe list. Sonicly if you want seperates a good solid state like a pass 250,and a good quality used Vacuum tube preamp creates great system synergy . Sometimes it is better just to buy a few good pieces and save fir a good sourse , even power cords wiring
is several $1000 fora decent system .
i am just going by my vast experiences 
and having sold audio for years system synergy is important.