Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Is there anyone reading this who has heard the difference between a SS2 subwoofer vs. a SS3 subwoofer?

I just don't want two of these big subwoofers in my living room. So for me, it looks like I will have to experiment for myself, 1 SS2 vs. 1 SS3. A pair of SS3 subwoofers would cost more than than the 3.7s are worth and has got to be overkill for just 2 channel music with CS3.7 speakers.
tomthiel

I can second your assessment of the CS 2.7 vs. CS 3.7 models. Precisely reported. Room size/space should be the deciding factor.

Happy Listening!
And, there is more to this integration of SS subwoofers to CS3.7 speakers. The Thiel passive crossover that is specifically configured for CS3.7 speakers was designed to only have a mono output. So one subwoofer was the original design concept. I would have to use Y adapters to split for two subwoofers, so they would both be mono anyway. 

It is a wonderful implementation because the crossover adds nothing in the signal path going  to the main speakers. The CS3.7s run full range. The crossover only senses the main speakers' signals from theor speaker cables, then transfers that information to the subwoofer to create ONLY the bass that 3.7s cannot reproduce alone. 

I do have a very nice Marchand active crossover I could use, but it seems to me that Thiel figured this all out, so why not use their passive crossover as intended?
Warren - I lack the direct comparison of SS2 vs SS3, but can share some relevant experience. I have one SS1 and two SS2s, which I have mixed and matched and moved around. First, my room is weird. It is my guitar-making and music studio and speaker workshop rolled into one. Its acoustics are good, but unusual, so YMMV. In the corner of a second floor residential-construction building with 12K cuft with open stairway connection at far corner to identical space below and smaller attic space above. Lots of volume. Playback is intelligible anywhere in the whole envelope. The studio walls enclose 3600 cuft in an L with front and left exterior walls solid and other walls porous - non-reflective with lots of diffusion. Virtually no room modes. Speakers in the assymetric L corner, listening in the 15’ wide top of L. It’s weird, but it works and presents neutral sound and smooth measurements.

In this context I have experimented with Thiel subwoofers.
SS1 between speakers and in solid corner (front left). Thiel PXO sums R&L channels. Dedicated XOs for PPoints, CS1.6, CS2.4 (used with my CS2.2s) and CS3.6. The PPs and 1.6 are substantially upgraded by deep bass. The 2.2s and 3.6s additional deep bass is nice, but not musically necessary for me. Same speakers with pair of SS2s. The musical experience is qualitatively improved with all speakers. The art of mixing includes collapsing to mono without cancellation, but that business is difficult and approximate at best, as Unsound noted. Note that using a pair of subwoofers driven by a single PXO was substantially inferior to using a pair of PXOs, one for each channel, which keeps the bass information of that channel with the speaker for that channel, as Unsound  observed above.

Regarding replacing an SS2 with SS3, I believe the only reason would be if your space / loudness requirements are overloading the SS2. I don’t overload my SS1 in the corner (best coupling) at robust loudness levels into an effectively huge space. Any model SS's low frequency extension is lower than musical content for all practical purposes. My experience is that a pair of SS1s or SS2s with 2 PXOs provides a highly satisfying musical experience for 2 channel music. I plead ignorance of HT .1 channel.
Note that someone here previously reported a big step up by using Thiel’s Sub Integrator whereby you can tailor a sub to woofer crosspoint at a higher frequency and custom slopes. I want one, but haven’t seen any on the market. Perhaps your Marchand might provide that function. I consider all of these options as more satisfying than going to an SS3, UNLESS you have a very large room, listen at loud levels, and are running out of steam with the SS2. I vote that two SS2s in any placement driven by two separate PXOs would be worth an audition.
Enjoy,
Tom