BEST SPEAKERS AT A REASONABLE PRICE

Im curious what you guys recommend for speakers at a reasonable price. floor standing and center.      cheaper kef, svs, klipsch, what?         i was looking at them three     not looking to spend a ton but dont want to go super cheap.     can someone give me some recomendations for midddle priced speakers.  dont want to spend over 2500 for 2 floor standing id say       let me know your thoughts please.        going to use a svs subwoofer and FOR NOW onkyo tx-nr809 receiver      HELP PLEASE       THANK YOU 
128x128tblanka
@tblanka +1 for the Tannoy!- 

I purchased an all tannoy setup about 15 years ago for my A/V system  and still have them - they are all still working flawlessly
- Fusion 4 Towers for the front
- Fusion centre channel
- Fusion 1 for the rear

I also looked at Klipsch in the same snack bracket, and found a store that carried both that I could audition.

It was pretty close...
- Klipsch were very dynamic but a little bit brighter that the Tannoy and depending on personal preference they might be better for Surround sound
- The Tannoys won out on musical presentation

I drove them with a 70w/channel Denon 5.1 A/V receiver

There are higher priced/perofrming model/ranges like the Revolution models that use the Tannoy centre mounted tweeter.

The only thing to be aware of with Tannoy is that they can require a little more toe-in that other brands to achieve an excellent image.

Hope that helps

It is my opinion...many of todays speakers are fluff,hi tech looks and garbage...TheHOF audio engineers of yesterday are gone.....Too many of todays speakers are utilizing expensive parts to arrive at a less than ideal audible solution resulting in money flying out the window constantly in search of something to be lived with....The more spent the less satisfied.......Get a solid 2 way classic,well balanced and accurate and you’ll all save yourself alot of bucks..maybe put it into the electronics driving them....
Take a look at the speaker line from Monitor Audio. I have Monitor Audio Gold 100. Across their line there is good value from the price. Their floor standing as well as book shelves sound very good. The type of music that is your preference may should also be taken into consideration. I like jazz and speakers that are dynamic, clean and generally neutral. If heavy rock, R&B, or some other pop genre with very heavy bass you may want to consider other brans. There is obvious a wide range to select from
First off, you are using a surround sound receiver which is great for multi-channel video and music, but it limits the 2 channel Hi-Fi sound that you can get from a decent 2 channel system. I would recommend that you use that fund to invest in a 2 channel stereo integrated amp and speakers. You can spend around $1500 with a quality Solid State amp or a Tube amp or a Tube Hybrid amp and then a $1000 on a set of speakers. I have a Vincent SV237 Hybrid amp and a set of Klipsch Forte speakers which I really love (no subwoofer needed). I have removed the bottom risers from the Forte and have then on a speaker stand that points the mid-high horns to my head level which puts the sweet spot where it needs to be. My goal is to create the live experience from a 2 channel music which is really the what artist has intended us to hear. Hope this help which ever way you decide go.
There are many issues to consider.   

- What kind of music do you listen to?
- How loud do you want to listen?
- How big is your room?
- WAF

One of my all-time favorite systems belongs to a buddy who runs a pair of late 70's vintage KEF Calinda loudspeakers being driven by a Marantz 8B tube amp.  You can find Calindas for about $500/pair, but most are in Europe.  Hard to find in the USA.  I'd run a VTA ST70 to drive 'em and they can be had in kit form for about $800, and assembled for about $1000.

But you want to run your receiver and the Calinda is extremely revealing of what an amp sounds like.  I wouldn't want to run them on an Onkyo SS receiver.

What would be an *awesome* value would be to build the SEAS Thor kit, from Madisound, for a bit less than $2500.  A similar commercial loudspeaker from Joseph Audio sells for $12,000, so you get a good idea of the value proposition there.   If you're not up for doing the wood working, any kitchen cabinet maker could knock out the enclosures for you without much difficulty and depending on your budget, could offer any number of finishes.  One friend took his enclosures to an auto body paint shop and for $500, got something which looks very cool.