The Who (Deluxe)

Just downloaded this album yesterday. I have to listen to it some more. It is listenable but it is not The Who. Pete is an excellent song writer and a great guitarist but if you listen to all their records I can't believe that you can not say the Who died with Keith Moon. John Entwistle's death put a stake through it's heart. This is the Pete Townsend Roger Daltrey group. Music has evolved but they have not. As Richard Thompson likes to say,"The Who, now they were art." If you ever saw them live you know how true this is. They were the Nine Inch Nails of their day. This record does not reflect that. 
128x128mijostyn
I @uberwaltz, I agree especially since it is Daltrys band. I do not like the badmouthing Townsend said about their 2 deceased band members. He said Keith Moon always played at the wrong tempo, and that Entwistle couldn’t keep time to the music. True or not it is horrible to say that about people you worked with for all those years.

Personally, I think Pete May be a pedophile but he got out of it by saying he was doing research.
Regardless , I consider Live At Leeds and Who’s Next to be the pinnacle of their careers.
It’s not the Who. It’s two original members with a backing cover band. That’s the reality. Once Keith passed, it was over. None of the records with Kenny Jones sounded like the Who and, certainly, Pino Palladino is no John Entwhistle. Bottom line ... the last real Who record was "Who Are You." Everything since has been a vain and unsuccessful attempt to recapture the glory days.
Well, it looks like we have uncovered two camps here, the politically correct one and the obviously right one. I have nothing against old men playing music. I saw King Crimson a few months ago. Fripp and the gang knocked it out of the park as usual. I saw the Who the tour before last. Pete and Roger put on a great show playing their old stuff, polished, modern, not the Who. The Who could not last. Keith was on a self destruct course from the beginning and the others knew this. They desperately tried to keep him going because no one played the drums like him and probably no one ever will. He was a barely controlled explosion. 1+++ on Live at Leeds. Get the Deluxe Version!
FWIW- 

I sat next to Pete Townsend at a dinner during a reunion tour of North America in 1989. He asked if I enjoyed the concert. I said, yes, but, I preferred the rougher, more aggressive style of their earlier music. He replied, Well, I’m not that angry anymore.”