Who remembers audio from the time when ...

... I recall hurrying home with the newest vinyl, placing it on the rek-o-kut  belt turntable (arm and cartridge beyond recall) then turning on the HeathKit preamp (with all sorts of equalizing circuits) and amp, then watching the tubes warm up.  The anticipation of hearing the new music through a decent system built up with the warming rube glow from orange to red and dimming into the infra red.  Gently grasping the arm and rotating it to place the needle’s crystal  perfectly into the first cut.  The Heathkit 2way speaker was placed forward from center wall to mimic a mono transducer at center stage.  Switching the turntable motor on while gradually increasing gain at the preamp required a soft touch.  Then stereo,  Reel to Reel.  The Dolby cassette deck, tubeless amps and preamps. Digital ...

i continue to be amazed at the continuing tidal wave of efforts directed to achieve more accurate sound reproduction and more pleasing perception utilizing our incredible ability to hear sound in the spectrum of musical experience.  The sounds of nature: A drip of water on the wet surface of a broadleaf in the rainforest. The startling gasping wheeze of the change in air flow through the mountain pass.  The sizzle of receding waves through the pebbles on shore.  And the sounds made by humans.

Old timer’s reminiscences of early audiophile recollections are welcome.  

davesandbag
50 years ago in Late September/Early to Late October the following albums were released within the span of about 4 weeks:

The Band - The Band
The Beatles - Abbey Road
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Led Zepplin 2
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
The Kinks - Arthur
Spirit - Clear
Free - debut album

I doubt we’ll see a confluence of such commercial aspirations and artistic expression as during those heady days again.
In Jr High back in 1973 I had a paper route earned me enough to buy my first system. Today everyone has access to everything. Or at least you know its there, even if you can't afford it. Back then though unless a friend tells you or you happen across it, might as well not even exist. Or might as well, as Seattle might as well not exist, since no way no how are mom and dad driving you to Seattle just to hear stuff you (or hell, even they!) can't afford anyway.

But Puyallup, you can ride there on your bike! Its an hour each way and down in a valley while you live way up on the North Hill but you can do it. So it was I came to pester the guys at Radio Shack and spend God only knows how many hours listening and comparing while saving my paper route money....

It wasn't tubes but it was mine and best of all this was 1973 so we had Dark Side of the Moon, Nilsson Schmilsson, and I had my own listening room- aka bedroom- where I could put the speakers anywhere. Ditto acoustic treatment. Learned a lot about speaker placement even way back then.

Thinking back on it now its hard to say which I liked best, Without You which made my little heart ache, or Jump Into the Fire with the best drums ever. What I do know, I would play those just as loud as that system would go without breaking up. Which in case you ever want to try this, is with the speakers on the floor about 3 feet apart and pointed straight at each other with you laying on the floor with your head right between them. We can make each other happy. We can make each other happy. Waaaaaaa ahhhhhhh!!!!  Ho. Lee. Crap!

drmemory,
I've got to tell you that bums me out a bit... Just glad those greats are still around for us to enjoy!