Phono Preamp

Hi!
I upgraded my equipment recently with a Triode Lab 2a3 integrated and a pair of Klipsch Forte III. My turntable is still a Project Carbon 2Xperience Classic, and the phono preamp it's a Pro-ject Phono Box S.

I am thinking about to change the phono preamp and wait a bit for the turntable upgrade. Is very difficult to get a demo for home test, so, according with your experience, witch pre-amp do you recommend with this equipment?

Or is better to go to the full pack and change both, turntable and amp?

ramon74
The EAR 834 P is an excellent choice if you like classic tube sound. If you like leaning more towards SS sound but want just a little of that tube glow a used ARC PH-3 or PH-3 SE would be the way to go. Funny thing is that both phono amps use the same three 6922 tubes. The EAR uses step up transformers the ARC does not. When it comes turntable time I would go for broke on the table and tonearm cheeping out on the cartridge to start. My logic is that cartridges wear out rather quickly in comparison to a good TT and tonearm so next cartridge down the line go for broke on that. I don't mean getting a bad cartridge just getting a less expensive one of which there are many sonically competent ones on the market. Turntables, tonearms and cartridges are rather delicate devices easily damaged so I never recommend getting used ones unless it is a single owner unit and you know the owner very well. 
Look into Don Sachs custom made pre amps.  One of the best values on the market and it was a great addition to my system.
In my opinion, you should not base your purchases on how good your total system is.  You should try to buy the most of a turntable and phono stage that you are willing or able to spend.  The better the front end is, the more detail and information you will pull out of your vinyl.

The better the phono stage, the better your overall experience will be.
The main issue with purchasing a phono preamp is that pretty much anything you install will most likely sound pretty good to you.  The only way to truly hear the differences is to have two or three different phono stages on hand so that you can swap them out to make comparisons; if you do this, the really great phono stages will immediately jump out of the pack.  

I was lucky enough to be able to do this kind of side by side comparison and the differences were dramatic.  I had a Clear Audio, Gold Note PH10, Musical Surroundings Nova III, Musical Surroundings LPS, Whest Three Signature and a Whest PS.30 RDT SE 2019 with the PS.40 RDT front end/suspension chassis/Titan Pro Wire Loom/PS.40 toroid core power supply.   It was shocking at how much better the two Whest phono preamps are over the group I was testing.   This all started based on a friend of mine who who had told me last year that a Whest Titan Pro was the finest phono stage he had ever heard (he had one on loan for a few months); he has used many phono stages over the years.

What is important to my listening is first how quiet the electronics are.  I do not like to put the system on with no material playing and hear noise or low level hum.  If you have any noise, that impacts the signal to noise ratio and it muddies up things.  The other things which are very important to me is how much detail the phono stage pulls out of the recording, the presence of a good detailed sound stage and the imaging.  With the two Whest phono stages, I lose the speakers; its as if the speakers are not even in the room as the music surrounds me.   I hear small details in the recordings the other phono stages don't present.

I suggest you spend the most you can on a phono stage as it will display information to the rest of your system.  And if you'd like to read some good comparisons, You can do what I did early on; go to the Whest website and look under customer testimonials.  There are hundreds of small write ups sent in from all types of users speaking of their observations of whatever model Whest they purchased against what they had been using (most of these guys had been using a lot of very expensive offerings from other manufactures).  It's  interesting material to read and I concur with what all of these guys are saying. 
I’ve been amazed by how much difference a good TT (w separate power supply, and tone arm ) can really make in SQ. Lower noise floor = more detail. If the TT is getting there, no phono pre is going to make that better. Just like it cannot improve the capabilities of the cartridge. Save the money of the preamp and more cables and go to the source. The trick is getting the most bang for the buck. my experience is once you get past the $8,000 range for a TT setup w cartridge, its diminishing marginal utility. Only my opinion