The imperfect amp: Pass or Ayre?

There are two high end SS amp brands which, from a technical perspective, don’t do very well, which I am thinking of:

Ayre and Pass.

Pass has stated that even ordered distortion is euphonic. Ayre’s zero feedback, diamond circuit has a great deal of distortion compared to the very best measuring amps.

I have to admit, that like an IPA vs. a Belgian White, I have a very strong preference, but my preference is not canon. It is just how my wallet moves me. You should in no way feel like my tastes matter. Buy what makes you giddy with joy.

Would you, kind lady or gentleman, tell us if you have heard both, what did you think?? Is this to narrow? Would you throw another brand into the ring??
erik_squires
Post removed 
Ralph / Al, 

Your posts are reasons why I still visit these these forums. Thank you. 
@gdnrbob OK a short comparison and context for the upgrade and eventual replacement. I bought the VX-R to run Vandersteen 5a after a lengthy evaluation of several other amplifiers, notably the ARC REF150 and the Aesthetix Atlas Stereo. All from competent designers certainly held in high regard by Vandersteen. All three had virtues, ultimately I chose the Ayre for its seamless one character top to bottom balance. I did audition at some length the MXR w Vandy 7 also. I very happlily ran the Ayre for a period of years and eventually landed on the 7 speakers. Leave the Ayre amps on a d they shine after 24 hours or so, before that they sounded just a hint metallic and etched on the very top end. So just leave it on !
the On Semiconductor output devices w thermal trac proved problematic and i lost a channel, Ayre stepped up w shipping both ways and the repair covered under warranty some 4 years on...I decided while it was back at factory to get it upgraded to Twenty series. In short the twenty sings twenty minutes out of standby and lacks any of the etched quality and IMO the midrange sounds more warm and lush, like the REF150. Neither amp has the low end of the Aesthetix. Per my other comments, before I invested in a better amp, I would go as far as I could with speakers...just my buck fifty...
I own a pass labs amp, I don’t care about stats, years ago stereophile did a blind test with the worst specs an amp ever had, the other amp had near perfect specs. Guess who won? The amp with the worst specs, by the way it was a tube amp. Specs don’t mean crap, it’s all in what you hear and like.