The imperfect amp: Pass or Ayre?

There are two high end SS amp brands which, from a technical perspective, don’t do very well, which I am thinking of:

Ayre and Pass.

Pass has stated that even ordered distortion is euphonic. Ayre’s zero feedback, diamond circuit has a great deal of distortion compared to the very best measuring amps.

I have to admit, that like an IPA vs. a Belgian White, I have a very strong preference, but my preference is not canon. It is just how my wallet moves me. You should in no way feel like my tastes matter. Buy what makes you giddy with joy.

Would you, kind lady or gentleman, tell us if you have heard both, what did you think?? Is this to narrow? Would you throw another brand into the ring??
erik_squires
How many other pursuits in life are people so obsessed with measurements in a realm where the ultimate goal is to engage in something pleasing to our senses? I won't possibly like the way this tastes because of the absence of sugar or salt? This artwork doesn't move me because it contains too much in the blue-green spectrum?  If it sounds good enjoy.  Why sabotage your happiness by questioning whether you truly like it while critically assessing measurements that perhaps don't seem to quantitatively equal perfect sound?
My power amp, one of Dennis Had's SEP High Output tubsters (10 to 17 WPC allegedly), is one that I hope nobody ever measures for anything as that could harsh my mellow.
So in my system with Vandersteen 5A Carbons, my Pass XA 60.8s do an admirable job, checking almost all of the boxes of the sonic attributes I’m looking for. Then comes along an opportunity recently to demo a pair of Vandersteen M5-HPA’s. Immediately I notice a couple of things 1) there’s a better image center fill, a quality that Ralph (atmasphere) mentioned, and something I noticed about the Ayre KX-5 twenty preamp that I demoed a couple of years ago and 2) instruments sound more natural. The sax on The Girl from Ipanema sounds more like live, with an almost tangible weightiness to it as well. Massed strings are smoother as well.  Now the Pass is no slouch, but theses amps take it to another level IMO. There’s a small amount of upper midrange glare that I hear sometimes which has been alleviated. RV told me that his time and phase accurate speakers need a no feedback design (specifically no global?) to sound their best. Is it the push push design that makes the main difference I wonder? How much is due to the low parts count for in the signal path? I know the Stereophile review is coming which should be interesting.
If recordings captured performances perfectly we would want a perfect amplifier.  They don't so we choose amps that allow us to enjoy imperfect recordings.
Ralph a tour de force post and recognition of the true scientist engineers that also LISTEN

Eric two points of clarification; Yes the relative distortion levels between components is massive, especially when comparing transducers to gain devices. AND look at the Ayre QSB DAC white paper for a Phd in filters that measure well but sound worse...hence the measure/listen switch,