Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
While waiting for my braised brisket to cook, I went to the "Speakers" topic and went to the beginning, hoping to find threads about AR3a speakers.    Found this:    Not much has changed.

Thiel 30 April 2000 thread:

"Looking for advice in driving Thiel 2.2s. I love the clean, detailed sound they provide with $10,000 amps, but my current gear (mass-market junk) doesn't cut it. Advice? I need both an amp and a preamp, and am willing to spend up to about $3500 total."

Vibrations from Both speakers at low hz , could it be the wires ?

I have a CD called Irrational, But Efficacious!  by Ayre and Cardas .
I play this as break-in sound every time I've installed new components  on my amp project. The CD has a track called full glide tone 
that sweeps from 5hz to 20,000hz , my CS2.7s do not start to 
produce sound until 1min. 4secs ( 30hz ? ) .
In the past I played this disc at listening level but the other day 
I had replaced all the power capacitors so I thought that I'd
try a louder setting.  
Both speakers had this vibrating noise that sounded like a metal plate 
or my thoughts speaker wires touching the bass basket .
There wasn't any distortion to the sound , just this added vibration noise 
that would go away as the frequency increased during the sweep .

Have any of you experienced this ?
Do any of you have any ideas about what it could be ?

I plan on e-mailing Rob for information about getting to the crossover
boards ( something that I've been working up the courage to do ) . 

I'd like to thank holco for his beautiful system images that help me visualize the Xover boards .

Rob

With both speakers it could be a room mode or other boundary effect. Test it by changing locations in the room.
I played around with test tones on my 3.7s and heard some mild vibration in the crossover.  Something is resonating down there but I've never heard it with anything other than the test tone cd so I don't worry about it.  Test tones can do funny things.  When I bought a big sub and was running frequency sweeps I heard a loud weird sound upstairs that scared me.  Turned out the pan in the oven was going crazy with a particular frequency played loudly by the sub.  Never noticed that with anything other than test tones either.  All sorts of stuff can start resonating with a continuous signal at a particular frequency.  Since music doesn't normally contain long continuous single frequency notes like that you'll likely never excite those resonances to near the degree you can with tones.