What are the current "speaker trends" in your opinions?

Be it cones, stats, horns, planers ...or whatever other technology, is there anything new/worthwhile out there?  I know that there was the AMT "air motion transformer" of the ESS days,etc.  Many technologies advance and sometimes refinements of existing technology is the mainstay.   I am not real current in my readings or notice of advertising/reviews and would appreciate anything readers can share. 

whatjd
The trend in speakers in everything that was old is now new again. Trend is in vintage speaker designs. I'm a fan!
I visited most of the rooms at AXPONA this year and I would answer that there is no trend. There were line arrays, wide baffles, open baffles, side firing woofers with narrow baffles, you name it. 
I agree that the "vintage thing" is making a comeback but I am biased as I own Devore O/93's and the Volti room sounded so good as did the Audio Note room. 
I wonder about the aluminum cabinet Magico/YG Acoustic trend; first, two brands don't make for much of a trend and it seems to me that as many people find them dark/boring as find them satisfying. I spent a lot of time in front of a pair at Magico's while talking to Steve Dobbins and A.J. Van den Hul and for the price asked I don't hear the appeal. IMO there is a large segment of well-heeled audio enthusiasts who think high-tech equals better loudspeaker sound reproduction that is the audio equivalent of "looking for love in all the wrong places". 
That said, I loved the sound of Vivid Audio Giya's so what do I know?
Another questionable trend (to me) is ribbon tweeters. They seem to be fashionable now but I lived with them for almost ten years in Acoustic Zen Adagios and they were "meh". Good but not great. They are a cheap trick imho. Give me a SEAS dome any day. 
There is no arguing that like integrated amps, we will be seeing more and more active speakers with DSP. I see this as a niche product that will likely appeal to younger audio enthusiasts (which is a good thing). I may be proven wrong, but there is a mental and philosophical disconnect between an analogue front end and a digitally corrected loudspeaker. But then again, every time I see someone asking about a Sweet Vinyl Sugarcube  or Mike Fremer sharing digital needle drops I scratch my head, so again, what do I know?
Oh Kay...OP asks for 'speaker trends' and in one page we're off and running into DSP, Bluetoothed, actives, and such....

...which none of which is 'new'...MHO.

Speakers that are 'listening to us' talk back is new.  And that's both interesting and occasionally frightening....

"HEY!  That sounds like *rap!"
("What would you like me to sound like?")
"Bose 901's, mid-80's...try that...")

12" tall speaker explodes...

Direct neural excitation is likely the next step, since we're already 'into' VR.  "Here, we'll just put this chip into your head.  Runs off your body heat, updates automatically, you just have to Think of what you want to hear..."

DON'T forget to autopay the monthly bill.  "Pause" & "Mute" might not be what you had in mind..... ;) *ugly G*
Won't work asv. Music has visceral aspects that headphones and chips can not replicate. Headphones are like sex with a rubber on.