Pulling myself out of old, broken equipment, one hesitant step at a time...

My father purchased Klipschorns in 1976, ran them with various McIntosh components, so it was only natural that I would look for my own version of hi-fidelity, starting around 1992. That brought me in touch with Vandersteen 2Ci's and 205wpc parasound HCA1200ii. The amp still functions; the 2Ci's are in the shop. They want $400 for the re-coning of one driver and re-edging another, on one speaker. This would also imply another $400 for the other speaker, which was the shop's recommendation and it makes common sense to refresh both speakers, as doing only one would create a kind of lop-sided musical affair. So, I can spend $800 on the 2Ci's, but this means I'm working with a thirty-year-old set-up and who knows when other drivers will pop. Truthfully, the shop is giving me a deal, even at the $400 mark; I know, because he waved some of the labor charges that he included initially. Apparently, Vandys are not easy labor, but Vandy lovers would like to keep the 2C experience rolling as long as possible...

Anyway, I also snatched a sale pair or RP280's for less than $500. They are lively and have provided many memorable music moments over the past nine months. Nevertheless, I find myself wanting to move on and up with things, so here is where I have gone and invested probably hundreds of hours reading reviews, few of which offer much in terms of direct comparison to other equipment (I might want to buy)... So, here is what is standing out for me:

Odyssey Kismet in the Stratos case.

Van Alstine Vision SET 120 or 400

Nuforce STA 200

So, any useful way of discriminating between the three, recognizing that the amplification of the STA 200 and 120 are about 80wpc, with the other two closer to 200wpc. I'm particularly interested in a 3-D soundstage. Subtlety and dynamics, authentic highs, sweet midrange and bass control are also on the top of my list. Before pointing me to tubes, I'll note that I live in one of the warmer parts of California. We are in the midst of 100 degree days here, so tubes will not fit well for me, until about November 1st.      

And finally, the idea is to pick a sweet amp, followed by a speaker upgrade. I'm interested in the excitement surrounding Tektons. I don't imagine spending more than 2K on any particular element of my new system... 

Thank you for your thoughts!
listening99
Post removed 
Contact Richard Vandersteen through their website and send in your drivers for a rebuild. The last time I checked, they charge less than $80 to refurbish the front woofer on the 2Cis. There's a video, by Vandersteen, describing how to remove the grill/sock to access the drivers. The shop charging you $400 to recone each driver either doesn't know what they are doing or they are simply dishonest. 

$400 is an outrage.  Bill Legall in PA at Miler sound charges much less or go to Vandersteen.

I am in New Jersey and can repair your gear if you want tot ship.  I can repair or modify anything.  It is not my main employment so I don't charge fellow audiogonners to much.  Let me know if I can be of any service or provide repair advice.

To clarify, the cost to repair both drivers on one speaker is $400. To achieve a consistent sound from both speakers would require restoring the same drivers on the other speaker, from what the repairman is stating. The shop also indicated that the 2Ci is both glued, stapled and screwed together, requiring additional labor fees. 

@bigkidz I appreciate the offers. 

@stereo5 Did you have any difficulty with Odyssey? I hear mostly good things, but it's a small operation and the shipping costs mount quickly if any repairs are needed. I've also read a few customer service problems, which would seem part and parcel of such a small operation. Personally, I ponder how they can back up a twenty-year warranty, going forward... Nevertheless, the overview, on most of the amps, is that they are wonderful... 

@analogvm15 what tube amp are you suggesting, and for which speakers?

I expected to read some fanning activity about the stated amps.

The parasound has been wonderful, but I keep reading about the 3-D experience and I'm wondering about the pathway there. Another consideration that has me pondering replacement is the cost of keeping the parasound on 24/7. It does not warm up particularly quickly, so I just leave it on, and I'm guessing, for a high current amp of 1995'ish, that it is eating a lot wattage while idling, at least 100 watts, but maybe much more... I suppose that's still only about $9.00 a month, definitely not the only driver for a new amp. I've looked high and low for a stat on idling power consumption (anyone else familiar with the idle power consumption of the HCA1200ii?), but I have not found one...

The Klipsch 280's are very lively, clear, engaging, but the soundstage is mostly only hinted at... this idea of 3D is part of my inspiration for looking at other options. Can any of you speak to Tektons in this regard? Is there another serious contender for quality 3D sound under $2K? 
I'm particularly interested in a 3-D soundstage. Subtlety and dynamics, authentic highs, sweet midrange and bass control are also on the top of my list.

These Clayton monoblocs are in your price range and excel at all the things you list as most important to you.  Although rated at 70Wpc, they double into 4 Ohms to 140Wpc due to their robust power supply.  They run in pure Class A, but they have a helpful low bias switch so won't run hot during idle or non-critical listening, and they've recently been recapped.  Read the reviews of any Clayton amp as they all have basically the same sonic signature and vary mainly in power output.  Best of luck. 

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649542736-clayton-audio-m70-monoblock-amplifiers/