Cambridge Audio CD Player Has Died

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player that is roughly 15 years old. A year ago the left channel went dead & was subsequently repaired. However, yesterday the audio output completely died (no sound whatsoever). Although the unit has served me well, I am reluctant to continue to put more money into repairs of an older unit.

That being said, I have a question for those of you who have more expertise than I. Is there a discernible difference in sound quality between high-end CD players & those more moderately priced? Although I do have a high-quality audio system, I would prefer not to spend a lot of money on a new CD player unnecessarily.
Thank you so much.
Kit
kitjv
My personal view on this is to buy a nice cd player that has the necessary outs to use as a transport. Then, should the dac fail, or if you want to upgrade the dac you can play cds while you shop around

I said this before the Marantz HD CD 1 is a really good transport MSRP $500
Most times it’s the laser and transport mechanism that gives out first.Your player can’t output a signal if the laser can’t track the disc.It’s hard to decide which way to go,I can relate.You’ve been happy with your current player,so just replace it with the new or refurbished(same warranty?).If you want to add a dac down the road the new player becomes the transport.
That’s the way I wanted to go but the player I had is no longer manufactured.I was happy with the equipment I had and not really excited about a change.Shhh....I may lose my audiophile card now:-)
You're right, that's the obvious question and there's no right answer.
As with almost every question that's asked on these forums the first words of the answer should always be, "It depends."

Advantages of the one-box solution -- Simplicity, takes up less space and requires at least one fewer cable. In theory, the manufacturer has taken some care to match the two components and the total manufacturing cost is less than for two boxes. Disadvantages -- You already know the major one, if one of the components fails you're out of music. In addition, transports aren't being improved since the need for that technology is disappearing, while DACs are improving at a rapid rate, for now. It's often very difficult to find a replacement transport mechanism for a device only a few years old.

Advantages of the two-box solution -- Flexibility, being able to use the DAC for multiple sources like streaming, TV audio, etc. If one component fails you have to replace only it. Take advantage of increasingly good digital to analog conversion without having to replace your disc spinner, though there are one-box devices that have digital inputs for use with sources other than the transport.
Disadvantages -- Complexity, twice the boxes and cables. Requires a little more knowledge to integrate properly but that's an issue only once.

An important underlying consideration is that disc spinners of all kinds are an old technology as technologies go and some companies, like OPPO, are already discontinuing manufacturing of players that use them. That will only accelerate and if it survives at all it will be as a niche market with the resulting increase in cost. In a few years it will be as hard to find a transport of any kind as it is to find a SCSI drive for a computer now.

Thank you, everyone, for the responses. I certainly am well aware of the pros & cons associated with the two options. And, of course, personal preferences enter the equation.
So, the rest is up to me. It's time to do my homework & weigh the options. If I have any further questions, I feel confident that this forum is an excellent resource.
Well, it's time for me to explore whether to replace my dying Cambridge Audio CD player with another standalone CD player or with individual transport & DAC units. From all of your previous comments, I can assume that some of you are immersed more deeply in the audiophile world far than I. So I would respect your recommendations on specific brands & models of transports & DACs that pair well together.
Here are a couple of parameters I would like to stay within: (1) units that will complement the "musicality" of my Audio Research tube preamp and (2) a combined price range of $600 - $1,000. However, I would be willing to extend my price range if there is a significant increase in audible quality.
Thank you in advance for your help. Much appreciated.
Kit