Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
Well, for all of you (all 2 of you?) who have been on pins and needles to learn what was going on with my amp, here's what we know at last.

My build was on target - nothing wrong there.

Furthermore, Brian and Pete WERE able to replicate the distortion issue. This relieved my worst worry that they wouldn't be able to even reproduce the problem and we'd be back to square one.

The problem, it turns out, was with the output transformers. Brian and Pete have NEVER seen this issue in all the years they've been shipping and assembling these kits, but somehow or other these transformers had become magnetized and as a result weren't putting out full power. How this happened is even more of a mystery since these trannies are all very high quality and thoroughly tested before they ship! Brian is going to get these trannies back to go over them with his transformer manufacturer/designer to determine what happened to cause this very odd result. In the meantime, Brian is shipping two new transformers to Pete to install in the amp. So bottom line is that I should have a perfectly working Kit 1 in a week or so.

Let me again emphasize that Brian and Pete have provided superb support. And if the amp sounded great before, it should be really amazing with this issue sorted out.

Whew!
Wow! Congratulations, Rebbi, and kudos to Brian and Pete.

I've never heard or read of anything like that happening, but you might find the second from the last page of this paper to be worth reading, and possibly suggestive of something that might have led to the problem. It was written by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers, who is a renowned expert on audio transformers.

Also, as you are most probably aware, a tube amplifier having output transformers should not be operated without speakers or equivalent resistive loads being connected (assuming the tubes are installed, that is). If perchance you operated the amp at any point without loads being connected (following the initial voltage checks that were performed sans tubes), I'm not sure that it could result in magnetization of the output transformers, but it seems to me to be a conceivable possibility so I thought I'd mention it to be sure.

Best regards,
-- Al
Wow, getting close Rebbi. Looks like the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train after all!
Hi Rebbi,
That is good news, the problem is solved. Very interesting the high quality sound you heard despite the bad output transformers. Imagine the result with properly functioning transformers. I look forward to reading your follow up listening impressions.
Charles,
Congrats Rebbi,
It won't be long before your home is filled with music. Brian and Pete should be commended for superb support. Best.