Used vs New vs Vintage vs Floorstanding vs Bookshelf vs ..... OMG!

OK. I am new in this (new in HIFI, in Audiogon, in discussion forums). I need to buy a pair of speakers for a newly-to-be-built HIFI system, and I am getting a little overwhelmed about all the options and possibilities (and opinions). By the way, I am NOT rich so that helps me a lot to discard a bunch of options.

I started checking vintage HIFI speakers for around $500, basically old JBLs, Technics, and the like (eBay, Craiglist, Letgo). Of course as soon as I began I started checking newer and pricier loudspeakers... and I am trying not to be a consumerist… Either way first  I decided for a pair of JBLs vintage. Until I watched John Darko's youtube review on the ELAC Navis ARB-51. So I changed my mind, I raised my budget and changed from vintage to new, from big to small.

Then I learned about the huge immense used HIFI market. For the same price of the Navis I could buy speakers from enormous brands like Sonus Faber and Focal and B&W in the used market. There I could find Sonus Faber Veneres for 1500, B&W 802 for 2000, and so on. When I contacted somebody from another webpage (The music room) about which was the best option.... the response was... Vandersteen 2Ce signature, "by far". I looked for opinions about it and all I read about them was "OK but meeh". 

So I was really confused. Until I learnt about the Tekton Double Impact, and now I started to get some dizziness. "The best loudspeakers for that price range", "the best period", etc. I contacted Eric Alexander, who kindly took his time to explain me why paper speakers are still the best, and so on. So they are great, really great, for "just" $3000... and I raised my budget again.

Either way, I have read so much, heard so much, watched so much, and I haven't learned much really. Different experts have different opinions, whether the speakers should be flat or not, colored or true, whether it is a matter of "taste" or "you should listen and like them". Well I am no expert, I am 45 years old and I probably won't listen wavelengths of 50 Htzs or lower.

I just want a pair of good speakers so I can enjoy King Crimson, Ramones or Beethoven.

Can anybody help? PLEASE???....

tykozen
How big is the room, how loud will you listen, and what amp will you use?

Also any constraints on where the speakers will be located in the room?

Oh and your budget or cost limit for the entire new system including new speakers?

There is always some subjectivity in speaker selection but if you can answer these questions it will help to identify those that have the best chance of fitting the bill.

Thanks.
As many have said, you have to listen for yourself. Each of us has favorites. The only thing that I would add is to try to listen at home with the speakers set up in your room. It is hard to overemphasize the importance of room-speaker interaction. Some direct to consumer manufacturers offer a generous home audition program. Some B&M stores have demos. 
Ty, take cd's or lp's that you are familiar with when listening to different speakers. 
Tykozen ,have you thought of or heard of Zu? Made in Utah and they have what they call a "dirty weekend" where you can try a loaner pair of their speakers. I guess you get to keep them or return them according to your opinion of them.
I have a pair of Zu Soul Superflys and really enjoy listening to the type of music you have mentioned. I mainly use small valve amps but I know they also sound great with solid state amps too. Peachtree for example. They will also work really well with vintage receivers.

Lots of guys on here probably have a few pairs of speakers and you might even be able to borrow some from someone nearby.
Good luck!
I've owned and auditioned many speakers in the $2K to $5K range. Even the cheapest Vandersteen (1Ci) can, in many respects, outperform some $5K speakers (though, sadly, so can some thrift store Advents) The Music Room gave you good advice, though IMO, they ask too much for their pre-owned inventory. I've seen near-mint 3A Signatures sell for $2K.