Music lover or audiophile?

I think you have to decide, are you a music lover or audiophile?  I know the majority will say, both.
 I’m not so sure though. The nature of audiophilia is to get in there and fiddle with the tools, like any other hobbyist.  The difference in our hobby though is that presumably, our ultimate goal is to have the best musical experience we can get. The hobbyist is never really finished. The manipulation of the materials is the fun. The music lover, however, wants to get the most out of that esthetic experience.  
By continually plying materials, the audiophile is on an endless quest for better sound.
 After years of this quest, I’ve decided I can be a music lover or an audiophile.  I’m happy listening to my system now the way it is.  So, I’ve decided to be a music lover once again.
128x128rvpiano
Mahler123,

They wouldn’t be mutually exclusive if it weren’t for the addictive nature of audiophilia which can dominate the process of listening to the point that it totally cripples the enjoyment of the music.
As a music fan, the trick is to get ones system to a minimal level to satisfy the ears. When to stop, is where the madness begins.

Seeing and hearing some of the "best" can be a fun experience. It's the actual music however, which stirs emotion-even through awful equipment.

I think there are more gear heads in the forums than music lovers.  Absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

The hobby needs someone to obsess over cable,widgets,fuses, power conditioning, digital superiority..etc.  Without them, no ridiculous threads we can comment on!

Reading some of the thread convinces me. Concern with some of the topics is mind boggling,odd and weird at times.

Time to flip over a record on the table.
No file playing over here...just some rekkids and FM through tubes.

Music lover is the one who enjoys listening to music even via car radio.
An Audiophile is someone who can hear differences in cables.
Truth be told, I still can’t listen to the music without having the sound enter into the picture.  The point is, I’m not looking to improve it.

Music loverphile

is that a possible response?

music is indeed the thing which centers me and adds to my joy.

However, since stumbling and wandering along the 'make it sound real' highway, and yes, there are some lofty prices associated with acquiring those last degrees of reality, I've gotten a mite spoiled or I've been educated enough to realize one can actually have the illusion of reality in their listening room. eventually.

if done well, keeping synergy as one's compass.

I've also learned when to say when.

so Music Lover 60%

'phile 40%

more or less.