Newbie looking for speakers

Hello I'm new to this site.  I just picked up a Sansui 5700 receiver and a pair of Pioneer HPM 60's.  I'm having fun with the retro system.  I'm interested in serious speakers with a budget around 3000.00.  Any helpful information about speakers, pre amp, etc would be absolutely amazing.  Thank you -Joe
leverjk
Sample system on approx $5000 budget:
Magnepan LRS $650 new
Bryston 4B3 stereo amp $3500 used or similar
Schiit Freya Preamp used $500
BluSound Node 2i eBay $400
Total $5050

I really like those Maggie LRS speakers for a starter system. Absolutely the best bang for the buck. The Bryston 4B3 is a great amp. Built like a tank. If you get more $ and want more power for the LRS or you eventually upgrade the speakers, you can get another used Bryston 4B3 and put them both into bridge mode and you now have  monoblocks. I agree with the comments about the BluSound Node 2i. The Schiit Freya Preamp is a great value too. It can be run passive, JFET or in tube gain. It’s a balanced preamp and you can use those balanced outs to the Bryston. 

Ok. This doesn’t leave anything for cords or power management. Rome wasn’t built in a day. So use the stock cords for a bit. Get the highest quality interconnects from Monoprice. They are cheap and good for the money and will tide you over. Then when you have more $ buy an AQ 1000 or a Shunyata PS8. Get a Shnuyata Defender and plug it in. Now you have power conditioning. Get some used AQ, Shunyata Venom or other similar cables and interconnects to swap out the Monoprice gear. Get your Tidal Hifi subscription. Now you are on your way. 
Go to a dealer or a show and hear the different type of speakers. Try to figure out the sound you like. It's better to spend some time up front with the research than buying something on a recommendation and then finding out it is not that good.
Big +1 on this.  You have to figure out what you like and what's important to you before buying anything.  $5k is plenty to build a great-sounding system as long as you use your own ears to make the decisions. 

Agree with Maggie's but I would go used on 1.7i about $1300 add a Parasound Hint again about $1600 used great sound at an unbeatable price. You can add a sub later if you wish.
Several people mention Maggie's which are great speakers for certain purposes. It is important to understand how you will listen. Magnepan sound great if you are in the sweet spot, but if you plan to move around or want them to fill a room, they may not work well.  

Someone else mentioned Monitor and they make excellent speakers, but need to be paired with proper electronics.  Simaudio makes excellent integrateds that pair well.  

Also check out Focal.  Focal speakers have a nice open sound with lots of detail.

I would definitely check out some dealers and try different things.  Systems that sound good to one person may not please another.  For example, someone mentioned Bryston and Parasound above.  Both nice brands but very different sound than the Simaudio I mentioned.  Hard to say which sound you would prefer, but they are all in the same price bracket, so try them all. 

Do not underestimate the importance of cables, but don't go overboard.  Cables matter more than most newbies think, but its easy to get caught up that.  Find something that makes an audible improvement with the components you purchase at a price you find reasonable. 

Enjoy the hunt.   
+ 1 on what audionoobie said (good advice).

My suggestion is to build your system in "stages," so that you can buy the best of what you like and can afford at that particular time period. Doing things this way will satisfy your itch to upgrade your system, which affects most of us in this hobby. I consider it a bad year if I don't either upgrade a component or (more likely) add at least one meaningful  tweak to my system. So.....

STAGE 1: buy your components (I'm assuming you'll start with an integrated amp, speakers, CD player and/or turntable).

STAGE 2: high quality interconnects, power cords and speaker cables.

Rule # 1 - never pay full price for these items. There are so many good options in the used marketplace (including Audiogon). Plus, there are some manufacturers that will sell to you direct at a significant discount; so, do your research there. An additional benefit of buying used cables is not having to deal with the break in period.

STAGE 3: Power conditioning and/or possibly a separate DAC or subwoofer. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find an integrated amp with a built - in DAC that you like and can live with for awhile.

STAGE 4:   Let the "tweaking" begin. Whether it's for component isolation, RFI/EFI noise issues, connectivity, etc, you can get as immersed in this as you want and at a very affordable price. This would include tube rolling, if you end up with any tubed components.

Doing things this way will probably take you many years, which will keep you passionately involved in this hobby. You'll be researching all kinds of things and constantly learning about this wonderful hobby (same might say affliction). There is a great group of people on this site, so continue to read the daily forums because you will learn a lot.

Bottom line: good luck in your search and happy listening!