Can anyone hear the difference when you add REL subwoofers when playing two channel

I wonder if anyone else has had problems hearing a difference when adding REL subwoofers to their two channel systems?  I have gone back to a reputable dealer in town to listen to a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mozart's paired with a REL S3 and I couldn't detect a difference when they added and subtracted the REL.  I wonder if this was because the Vienna Acoustic Mozart's are already can extend down to 30 Hz.  I have also read reviews on the Mozart's and they said one of their criticisms was they felt the Mozart's to be too boomy in the bass.  

The dealer keeps telling me I am expecting to hear a more punchy pounding bass sound and that is not what I should be listening to.  He keeps saying I should be listening for greater depth and space to create a larger sound stage.  He went on to say if I had a subwoofer that delivered too much bass, they would eventually drive me out of the room and spoil my enjoyment of listening to music.  I thought I had sensitive ears to sound, but in this case I wonder if I am tone deaf.  My fear is getting a pair of T/9i's in my home and my wife telling me I wasted our money because she could not hear a difference. 

There must be a reason why so many dealers have told me their first pick would be a REL because they are so musical.

I also question why REL manufactures their subs with such low wattage?  For example, their S3 delivers only 400 watts and their T/9i's deliver just 300 watts.  When comparing them to  subwoofers like JL, which deliver 750 watts to $1500 watts, maybe REL subwoofers are just too wimpy.
128x128larry5729
To bstatmeister:

Sounds like you like Rythmik.  Their Servo system seems interesting.  The owner of Rythmik told me the REL's won't provide the kind of bass extension their subs can deliver.  Another speaker manufacturer said the REL T/9i's will be lucky to play down to 35 Hz.  I certain songs play a lower Hz levels, these will not be able to play those frequencies.
I really like Rythmik's price to performance ratio. You can get a really substantial, musical sub woofer for right around 1k. I think you can get a REL that digs super deep, but would have to pay thousands more. REL looks terrific - furniture grade stuff right there.
My RELs were found on Ebay a year or so apart for 200 bucks each in excellent condition working perfectly. Lucky score I admit, (and a few years ago)...still...worth looking around as they show up from time to time, especially the Q108MKII.
Unless you have a large room I would stay away from the lower end REL subs for a 2 channel music system. The S5's on down, I believe all use a downward facing passive radiator which helps the sub achieve lower frequencies and deliver a nice rich fat tone but it can also create definition issues in the low mids and can be . REL's also do not have any phase control, just a polarity switch. Phase control is very useful if you have two or more subs. I would also recommend using a very good crossover but most audiophiles have a very strong aversion to them even though a good crossover with time alignment capabilities can do amazing things for your soundstage.

As far as room placement any reputable sub manufacturer should have placement information on their websites including REL. I would also check out Soundoctor.com for highly detailed information about subwoofers and their placement.