Vandersteen Quatro Crossovers

Can any Vandersteen Quatro owners tell me about the balanced version of the required crossovers.Does it use batteries that over time need replacing like on the Model 5"s? Will be using McItosh MC501 mono blocs,any related info regarding hookup would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis
denman
I recently acquired a pair of Quatros, but they did not come with the M5-HP filter. The owner apparently misplaced it during a move and has not ran the speakers since. I am anxious try the vandys, but don't want to run them without the filter to avoid damage. However, $600 for a filter seems excessive. Will something like this work in its place?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=266-274
It appears to be the same 100 Hz high pass as the M5-HP, just at a more reasonable price. Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks.
Gee whiz Drevil....do it right. You have a good speaker, don't ruin it with inappropriate add-ons.
Jeff, you were waaaay off on this one pal. You have great info many times but this time you are mistaken. As for crossover I suppose you can try what you want but know ideal is O.E.M. parts.
you must have the Vandersteen x 5 set to your amps proper input imp as in the owners manual I would suggest you
make sure you do this so not to get deeper in than you already are.
Best Johnnyr
No. The first reason is that the ones you linked to are second order (12db/octave) whereas the M5-HP is first order (6db/octave). Secondly, the filters are placed in series with the signal and their quality affects the entire audible spectrum. The parts in the Vandy filters are high quality and cost several hundreds of dollars at retail. Even if the Parts Express filters were first order, the speakers would likely end up sounding different.