Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
I started playing drums at age 5 and I’m in my 60’s now. Just got rid of my set.  It’s a lot of fun to play. The most fun is playing in groups/bands in front of many people, an experience you will never forget. Do not, do not get an electronic kit. The drum sizes are completely different than the real thing and the feel is quite a bit different.
St first, all you need is a snare drum to learn the basics. At 5, I did this with an instructor for quite some time before it got boring. Then I progressed to a full kit. Pick a couple of drummers from your favorite artists and play along with a couple of cuts to work on your stick ability as well as the bass drum work. I used a set of headphones for drummers that worked really well while I played songs from my iPhone. There are many YouTube videos that can teach you the basics up to the most advanced.
if you want to save money, find a used set thru Craigslist along with a set of cymbals, hi hat, ride and crash. IMO, if you want to learn from the best, look up Mike Portnoy and watch some of his drumming with Dream Theater. That’s who I played too and he has great videos on how to learn different techniques. Btw, I am selling my headphones if interested.
You should absolutely do it!! Age should have no impact on your decision at all.
I play the drums, and I'm 65. I do it almost everyday, and it always gives me great joy, though there are indeed times of frustration when I'm trying to play something and can't quite get it. 

As for the question about skip the practice pad, go straight to the kit, why does it have to be either/or? My opinion is using both would help you get better sooner, and by getting better I mean enable you to play things you hear and function around the drum kit, and that would lead to more pleasure for you.

Playing along with records, cd's whatever is a good way to grow your playing, (and a lot of fun) but you do need to realize that you're not gonna just sit down at the kit and magically play anything you hear. You're gonna have to put in some time on developing your ability (building your "chops") so you are physically able to play the things you want. Doesn't mean you can't also slam away, it does feel awfully good. 

Go for it, there's a very good chance you'll see the opportunity to fall in love with drums, (as I did) and if you get that feeling, finding a teacher and taking lessons would be something you might want to do. It wouldn't be an onerous task, it would be a joyous pursuit.

Btw, you can teach yourself, and these days there are lots of ways to get the info you need online. I was self-taught before the computer age. I spent 5 or 6 years working at it and actually ended up playing in bands that were fairly successful, and had a great time doing it. I got to the point where I couldn't grow enough on my own, so then I found a teacher (several actually) and got very serious about it. I'm not trying to make this about me, just trying to show you there are a number of ways to do it. 

Good luck, I hope you take the plunge

I say go for it. I did a similar thing . . . took up guitar in my 50's. I started teaching myself with books, online lessons, etc. In my case focusing on playing songs was key to keeping me going. After a couple of years of this I found a kid fresh out of college to come to my house a couple of nights a week . . . this was a big, big help in getting me to the next level (especially music theory). 

After that, I began jamming with friends. There is nothing more fun, and more important to your continued development than actually playing songs with people.  Second in line is playing with backing tracks . . . there are many many options for backing tracks to play with.  I now have a Jam studio in my house and 5-8 guys come over once a week for a Jam. I have a keyboard and an Alesis electronic drum kit set up there because these are tough instruments to schlep over. The other instruments (guitars/horns) are easy to cary over (though I have bunches of extra guitars and amplifiers. I also want to learn to play them. None of us really aspire to play in public (though we have) . . . too much work. We just want to play for ourselves for the fun, and to improve.

The Alesis electronic kit sounds great . . . our drummer is an experienced drummer and very good.  That said, I would be inclined to learn on an acoustic kit if I had a choice. 
Why not, if that is something that you are interested in?  Grandma Moses took up painting at 78, so you have a 22 year head start on becoming a well recognized practitioner of your chosen field.  

I would guess that it is easier these days to be self taught, given the amount of stuff that can be found on the web.  But, if you try it out and become serious, I bet live lessons would be a great source of fun and inspiration.

I don't want to work, I want to bang on the drums all day!

56, you are a youngster!  Go get a set and play all day!

Happy Drumming!