New Joseph Audio Pulsar Graphene 2

Just wanted to update my prior thread where this topic may have gotten lost.  As many of you may know by now, Joseph Audio has come out with the new Pulsar Graphene 2. This new iteration of the venerable Pulsars has a graphene coated magnesium midrange-woofer cone, and the drive motor, suspension system, etc., have been revamped. From what I have been told, the upgrade is pretty significant ... the sound is fuller and has greater ease, yet is very resolved. Jeff Joseph advises that an upgrade path will be available for existing owners of the Pulsars, too. Also, note that the price quoted in the Soundstage piece was in Canadian dollars ... Jeff informs me that the price in USD is $8,999 per pair. I am eager to hear the new Pulsars.
rlb61
I would say significant improvement in the bass and, in the midrange a lesser improvement, but enough to make you very happy.

@rlb61
If you are impressed with the original Perspective, the Perspective2 may very well cover anything you thought was missing. I am listening right now to one of my wife’s playlists (pop) and love it. 

@prof
The answer Mark just gave is pretty close to how I feel.

I would certainly say more then a slight improvement, but night and day would probably be going to far....as the originals are just such good speakers.

mark,

Cool.

If I were to list anything in the "con" vs "pro" side of the ledger, based on my various auditions of the Perspectives at stores and my home, and comparing to other speakers I like, I'd say:

1.  The bass.

Aside from the beautiful mids and highs, bass is actually one of the things I loved from the Perspectives.  It has a great, juicy tone and texture.  Love bass synths, bass guitars through the Perspective.  (Especially Jaco!  I'd never heard Jaco's bass sound that beautiful).The bass also "swells" beautifully and warmly  for dramatic parts in classical and soundtrack music.

My one criticism was that at the very bottom of the range, it could be a bit loose, a bit "puffy."  I'm used to living with some Thiel speakers that are just bang on in the bass, pitch, control, sound almost perfect.  So other speakers have a tough time competing.

If the Perspective 2s improve on that issue, that would be awesome.

2.  Fullness.

The great thing about the Joseph sound is the combination of analytical-levels of detail that don't come off as analytical.  Part of this is due to how the highs and upper mids are so clean and free of exaggerated etch or grit.  But another is that Joseph has beautifullly voiced warmth and fullness in to the tone, so they sound much richer than you'd expect from a stand mounted or small thin floor standing speaker.

Still.

They do not have overall as thick, rich and filled out sound as some other speakers I really like - e.g. my Thiels, Devores, Harbeth).   Guitars have more clear, ringing leading edge on the Josephs than those other speakers, but less of the size and body.   If the new models have somehow increased the sense of fullness of sound through the whole spectrum (not just the bass/upper bass) that would be something.   But I think the design and physics really places limits on how far that can go, so I'm not expecting miracles there.