Turntable Mat question

I read a turntable Mat comparison which mentioned that although there are many different choices,
some audiophiles will use LP Records as a mat
What is your opinion about this ?
rocky1313
All record mats sound different from each other....you can make your own easily by cutting a disc from cardboard, linoleum, anything.  If you like the results fine, if not, keep listening.
I'm taking some heat for my 10" vinyl record mat. It sounds better on most material than many other mats I've listened to and that's all that matters.
I have a Clearaudio turntable. It has no mat when purchased. The dealer/shop/owner frowned at me when I asked about a mat, he said not nessessary. After I got it I have tried a cork and a felt and a lp record. I find it best without a mat. I do use a light weight. I supose if a mat was a needed part it would be supplied?
Absolute correct, no mat is best. I have a VPI Prime Signature. VPI recommends no mat. I tried several of them and they all deteriorated the sound. 

Those platers were specifically designed to use w/o a mat but to couple the record appropriately to the plater you have to use a clamp and a ring
(for another $1000). The ring is a PIA. SOTA, SME, Kuzma and Walker have much more elegant solutions to that problem. There is no such thing as a flat record although properly pressed 200 gm records come close. With any pivoted arm you are going to get warp wow unless you flatten out the warp. That is something you can actually hear. And, an appropriate mat should sound like absolutely nothing. All good mats should sound exactly the same unless you have a problem with your platter ringing. Tap to find out!