Cartridge Selection

Hello,

I am the happy owner of a VPI Classic Signature, connected to McIntosh phono preamp (both MM and MC with adjustable capacitance and resistance), preamp and amplifier (preamp is tube, phono preamp and amp are solid state). Speakers are B&W 805 D3. This analog part of my system is used exclusively for listening to jazz.

Presently, I have a Hana SH mounted on the VPI Classic. I like the sound very much, but am thinking I can get more out of my system with a cartridge upgrade. I am considering the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Lyra Delos, or Benz Micro Wood SL. Trying to keep the cost to around $2K or less.

I would greatly appreciate any insight from the group.

Thanks.

GAR
gareents
@gareents. 

I just purchased the Soundsmith Paua MKii for 2k which is half price since they had a cosmetic update they have been blowing them out at half price.

I own the Ortofon Candenza Bronze and the Koestsu Black Goldline (which I used for 15 years.  Both great catridges but the Paua is in a different stratosphere which it should be it is a 4 thousand dollar catridge.  I have a Prime Signature with the Nordost wiring you have and it is a great match, which is tricky to find. You need to look a little harder to find one at half off right now but it is still possible.  try Upscale audio.

also the rebuild price is 550 dollars as many times as you need so it if future proof value and will last you forever.  the Koetsu is a 2k trade and the ortolan is a 1k retip.
The Koetsu is way too stiff for that arm.The Lyra Delos is perfect as is the Clearaudio Talisman Gold. The Clearaudio is a bit more dynamic and it is also brighter. If you think you need a little more treble it is perfect. If your system treble is right I would go with the Lyra. I am a big fan of Ortofon cartridges but at this price point I think these two are a better value  price to performance. Up a little higher the Winfeld Ti takes over until you get to the megabuck cartridges. The best arm I know of for Koetsus is the 4 point 14. You need a heavier arm. The Stone bodied versions will go in a slightly lighter arm but they are very expensive. Never use a uni pivot  with a Koetsu. Moving iron cartridges can sound great but they are very sensitive to magnetic fields. DC motors generally work fine but if an AC 
motor is not well shielded you are going to get a hum which gets worse as the cartridge gets closer to the motor. Unless you have used one before and know you won't have a problem I would avoid them if you have AC motor. Cartridges are like ski boots once you use them there is no turning back.
I agree on the Koetsu.  the compliance on a 3D arm is marginal at about 13hz resonance which is not the best.  you could use the sound smith ezmount screws and add some weight (probably the brass ones) to help the Koetsu along.  I have to respectfully disagree about the Moving Iron carts shielding on the SS is very good and people do not have issues with them like they do with the Grados that are not shielded.