Death of Rock 'n' Roll

Rolling Stones tour delayed due to Mick Jagger health condition
David Bowie
George Harrison
and no new ones at all

Rock\n\Roll's dead pretty much, but Jazz's still alive!
czarivey
Well done, sparky

Finnish metal is crap, never cared for those, just noise. Sad but true.

How do you like Finnish sung in kinda American fashion (I think):
Maarit´s version of classic "Delta Dawn" from 1973 :
https://youtu.be/Ka5-Q3F3LVc
From her first album which is a stunning pop/rock album by any standards, the best thing is her sweet soulful voice very original sound, no-one like her. And the very finest album from her catalogue. Highly recommend the original 2 Love Records vinyl editions, hard to find though.
"Jäätelökesä" from 1978:https://youtu.be/wgaEFvyDlpU

"Lainaa vain" from 1997: https://youtu.be/Sc3k2sI8XME

There are too many fantastic performances here to post. She´s still performing today, the guitarist is her husband been married for four decades. Absolutely fantastic woman and artist. I´m not personally into soft pop but she´s something else, just love her voice.
I´m very proud of our musical heritage. Thanks for the real music, Sibelius and Co.
Enjoy the tunes

At eighty+ I pretty much say what i think .
  I never heard a note of classical till I was over 30 and a soldier in Vietnam . The Armed forces radio ,which never played classical, that day played a Beethoven song sung by the Great Swedish tenor , Jussi Bjorling, which swept over me in a tsunami of true beauty .
I am sure, very sure, that if that had that had not happened I would never , with my 8th degree education , got degrees from top US and German universities , married a beautiful educated women , and thanks to Bach, become a Christian . And many other things .

I was always smart but Classical music gave me something I never had ,
"Good Taste ", without which intelligence is rather lame .And it does it in all elements of life , not just music ! No other form of music
can do that, some do just the opposite .That is why when I hear , "oh, its a just a matter of taste " I think yes, good taste and bad taste .

That's a great story, Schubert.  Was it something like the scene in "The Shawshank Redemption" in which Tim Robbins plays an opera record for the men in the prison courtyard?
Thank you bdp24 for the availability of current Country/Americana that I would enjoy listening to. There are some old performers locally in Ventura County that my friend Robert hears all the time. I like the mix of blues with country. I like rock mixed with country and/or blues as well (some great groups from the 70s and 80s did that).

The problem is that most millennials are overwhelmed/overwhelmingly favor yukky music and the good music is shoved aside. The live performances of musicians are where the money is rather than in studio recordings cheaply available on the internet.

schubert, after I met my wife, I was introduced to more modern rock from the 70s and 80s and enjoy much of it now (not so much heavy metal). From my 40s, I was introduced to modern jazz. So, my music tastes have evolved over time. It began with opera, classical, pre-1960s pop and ethnic music from childhood. I have a large collection of jazz now which makes listening frustrating as I have 42,000 LPs/78s/CDs. One day it’s one format, another day another but jumping from one music genre to another. I can’t hear it all.

When I listen to any J.S. Bach, it has to be the last thing I play; no one can follow him. For an epiphany. listen to his Concerto for 4 Harpsichords And Orchestra. The counterpoint is mind-blowing; merely hearing it raises one's consciousness. But his music serves a much higher purpose (the glorification of God and his Son) than does Rock ’n’ Roll. The two cannot be viewed in the same light.

Some Rockers have quit performing R & R for spiritual reasons, most notably of course Little Richard. Others have struggled with their conflicts between the Sacred and the Profane; Jerry Lee Lewis, who was captured on tape by Sun Records’ Sam Philips opining that Rock ’n Roll was indeed Satan’s music. Elvis’ first love was Gospel, which he listened to and performed at home.