Entry level turntable for my son

Hello all, 
My 16 year old has the same audio sickness as me. He recently approached me about acquiring a turntable for his system. Any recommendations on the entry level stuff from Rega, project, music hall, etc? Should I stick with the newer stuff or look for an older model like a Planar 3 or a MMF-5? I still use my Linn LP 12,  but I hear the newer ones out there have some nice new features the older entry level stuff didn’t. I don’t think he will be looking to do any modifications in the near future, he just wants to spin some vinyl. 
Thanks in advance!
skipper320
In case you do decide on Technics, do not forget to buy him oil. A few drops once a year and he is good to go. One little (they are really little) container of Technics-branded oil could last for decade or more but it is more likely he will lose it before he uses it all.
@skipper320 ...
Do you think it would be better to use an outboard phono pre amp or have them build it in?
Technically - I think the built in option would provide better sound quality than their outboard version because the tonearm wire would connect directly to the phono stage
  • eliminates the issue of selecting a "worthy cable" for that connection
  • but it limits future growth

Personally, I really like their onboard option - its great for a second turntable...
  • no fussing/expense of a second phono stage and TT-to-phono interconnect
  • I only want one to play "less than perfect" recordings to reduce wear on my existing cartridge, so "perfect sound quality" is not really necessary

For someone getting into vinyl - since it is their only TT...
  • the external option allows them to upgrade either the TT or phono stage as required - so that might be the best approach.
  • but others may want that simpler approach, which the internal option provides

I think U-Turn offers some very flexible, audiophile oriented options and configurations that could suit a lot of people from beginer to advanced.

I like it when a company like U-Turn comes out with products that cause "ripples" in the "normal pond"

Other established brands (too many to mention) could learn from them

Regards - Steve
@sleepwalker65
If he wants to be a rap-“DJ”, then he doesn’t need a turntable, but need a serato box and a rap controller or two.

Since you have deleted my post with the moderator i will repead again that everyhting that coming from you about the art of DJing is an insult to a certain group of people. No matter what do you think about RAP (nobody cares about it), you’re trying to represent an artists like an idiots. I don’t care much about rap, i am into jazz and funk. But you have no idea what you’re talking about and you have a problem with black music, maybe you’re a rasist ?

It’s so obvious how you hate a Rap as a genre, this is a bad word in your vocabulary. For some reason all that negative coming from you related to Technics brand and their turntables, which is rediculous!

Even Jazz Legends like Mr. Ron Carter performing with Rap / Hip-Hop artists, here is the video.

Educate yourself a bit before you slagging off RAP artists or their DJs.

And learn a bit:

DJing is not about RAP at all !

RAP is the rhyme.

Rapper is the one with a Microphone, not the one with a turntable or "rap contoller" as you call it. This culture coming from the black ghetto in the late 70’s and became very popular in the 80s. In the 90s is was worldwide phenomenon, a new culture for youth people.

Their music is Hip-Hop. This genre was born when artists start sampling old Jazz, Funk and Soul from the original records made in the 60s/70s.

Real DJs play vinyl. And even those who DJ’ed with Rap Artists have been doing it with
vinyl  at least for 30 years, most of them still Vinyl ONLY and they are serious record collectors or the different genres of music (original pressings).
Cheaper/earlier  VPIs use the Hurst motor which does NOT have a lower bearing on the motor (God knows why they designed that s..t like that) ?
In a year or so, motor starts getting destroyed.  Keep away from any turntable which uses the Hurst synchronous motors.