Entry level turntable for my son

Hello all, 
My 16 year old has the same audio sickness as me. He recently approached me about acquiring a turntable for his system. Any recommendations on the entry level stuff from Rega, project, music hall, etc? Should I stick with the newer stuff or look for an older model like a Planar 3 or a MMF-5? I still use my Linn LP 12,  but I hear the newer ones out there have some nice new features the older entry level stuff didn’t. I don’t think he will be looking to do any modifications in the near future, he just wants to spin some vinyl. 
Thanks in advance!
skipper320
For a 16 year old I'm going to give slightly different recs than for others. 
I think the idea of a used Technics is a great fit for the need. Super durable, easy to run, easy to move, and reliable. If you want to spend a little more and get him something brand new, the PLX 1000 is another solid option for pure reliability and ease of use. 

I started with UTurn a couple years ago, and I loved it dearly. Honestly can't bring myself to sell it still since it was a gift. If your son is very into modern style, this one might really appeal to him. My only complaint with it was moving the belt from 33 to 45 can be a little finicky. Nothing major, but as I got more 45s it became more apparent. They also seem to have had a bad batch of bearings hit the market in the past year. They customer service is exceptional, but you'd prefer to never need to use it. And if your son does get the upgrade bug, you hit the ceiling on the UTurn a little faster. But my GF has had hers for almost 3 years, and uses it regularly without any issues. I don't think she'd trade it for anything because she loves the look and it works exactly as she expects.  

The new Fluance models (RT84/85) look highly compelling at this price point as well. One I would seriously consider if I was in the market at that range. 

Now if your son likes to fix things, vintage can be a great bargain, and a great way to learn vinyl. I'm not saying to get him something that needs fixing. But vintage will probably need a fix sooner than later. You'll obviously get the best bang for the buck here. 
Depending on your son’s intentions, I’d recommend a vintage Technics direct drive turntable if he wants to listen to music. If he wants to be a rap-“DJ”, then he doesn’t need a turntable, but need a serato box and a rap controller or two. The SL-1200mk2 is probably overkill for a 16 year old, unless he’s unusually responsible and outgrown throwing temper tantrums, get a $20 garage sale junker. 
He isn’t into the rap DJ thing. He has a rather nice system and wants to get into vinyl after we attended a record show 2 weeks ago. He has rather solid musical taste in my opinion. Listening to my system since he was born, he know he prefers vinyl to cd or streamed music off his iPad. I want to help him get into vinyl. I’m not worried about temper tantrums. He is very careful with his gear. I’m really leaning towards the Fluance or uturn stuff. They seem to be well built and a good value. 
DJing is not about "RAP" at all, real DJs play vinyl, most of them are serious record collectors of many genres of music, including live music , good music (original pressings). Our sleepwalker65 have to talk to psychologist to find out why he has a problem with "Rap DJs" and why in every post about Technics he’s jump in with his mysterious "Rap DJs" who penetrated his turntables in his fantasies. Has anyone seen them? Maybe in America, maybe in the wrong neighborhood with their own turntables?

Technics SL1200mkII designed originally for Hi-Fi, this is the best turntable you can buy for a teenager, because it can’t be damaged like those old or new belt drive toys, and his school mates will be very impressed by Technics (this DD has a cult status). I think i bought mine when i was 19 and i still have a pair of them (but fully upgraded). Many users declared the same in this thread.

Teenagers are not a Hi-Fi snobs, it’s a lot of fun to use Technics without worrying to damage it. The tonearm is one of the best at its price range to adjust properly, super easy to use and train for entire life.

The price is extremely low for such unbeatable Direct Drive made in Japan. These decks serve their owners forever without any maintenance/service, belive it or not. Easily for 30+ years. Technics can be sold anytime quickly.

I think the venerable VPI Scout with the acrylic platter is a great sounding table.  Get one used and they are built like a tank and well, down the road put a Lyra Delos on it and you might be set for a long time.  Its a great combination.  The work very well together.