Entry level turntable for my son

Hello all, 
My 16 year old has the same audio sickness as me. He recently approached me about acquiring a turntable for his system. Any recommendations on the entry level stuff from Rega, project, music hall, etc? Should I stick with the newer stuff or look for an older model like a Planar 3 or a MMF-5? I still use my Linn LP 12,  but I hear the newer ones out there have some nice new features the older entry level stuff didn’t. I don’t think he will be looking to do any modifications in the near future, he just wants to spin some vinyl. 
Thanks in advance!
skipper320
My first table was a Technics when I was in middle school in the early 80’s. Great place to start or maybe Dad should pass down the Linn and treat himself to an upgrade.
Dad would love to pass own the Linn and move on, but the wife would like to express her disagreement! My son was talking to his grandfather ( from whom I acquired my audio sickness), and he told him to go for a Thorens TD 160 or a Rega Planar 25. Dad is a fan of vintage gear. He has an old Dual 1019 he’s willing to pass down. Is it worth it for the kid just to get things going? Dad is the original owner. It’s in minty condition but could probably use a new cartridge. Anything to watch out for on the old 1019? It seems like a good place to start him off with vinyl, and the best part, he’s willing to pass it down for free!
I also checked out the u-turn tables mentioned above. The price is right, but is the tonearm any good?
Thanks to all of oyu who prosted about the U-Turn - I just looked at it and find myself hooked.

Can anyone tell me what kind of material the sub-platter is made from ??? - thanks

I had been casually looking around for an affordable, but well designed second table and the Utirn has most ALL of what I had been looking for...
  • Drive belt around the outer rim of the platter - quieter operation
  • Motor as far away from the platter as possible - should not cause cartridge hum as with certain cart’s
  • The center of gravity of the counter weight is lower than the arm tube - something you find on high quality arms
  • acryilic platter option
  • great colour choices
  • simple operation
  • has an acrylic cover that can easily be removed for playing
  • Starting at $179 - WOW - what a BARGAIN!!!
This TT reminds me of the Rega II of 30+ years ago
  1. Afforable
  2. basic operation
  3. quality

U-Turn has incorporated the latest desing practices which would appear to make them a clear leader in affordable TT’s

Thanks - Steve

Great points Steve. What are your thoughts on the phono preamp they offer? Do you think it would be better to use an outboard phono pre amp or have them build it in?