Best $2000-$3000 full range speaker?

I realize that offering advice on such an open-ended thread isn't for everyone, so below is some background. Too much? Probably. I'm a chatty feller; it's an occupational hazard.

First, I don't live near any hifi stores and don't often leave my mid-sized midwestern town (I have 2 small kids and don't like traveling), so my chances for auditioning equipment are zip. The closest cities are Minneapolis/St. Paul, and they're not that close.

Second, all my friends think I'm crazy, because none of them can understand spending $1000 on an entire system, let alone spending that much on a low output moving coil cartridge (I love my Dynavector).

Third, I'm not expecting a consensus on what a good 2k to 3k full range tower (could be towers; don't have to be) speaker is. I want some suggestions that I can research and ogle on-line. I'm in it for the journey, so if I buy some speakers based on your recommendations here (and I probably will) and don't like them, I'll sell them here and start over. Fine with that. Totally fine.

Fourth, I'm not that picky . . . yet. But as Steve Martin said, the ear grows sophisticated pretty fast. But I'm not ready for a moonrock needle and a googlophonic system yet. I'm a newbie, but I'm well on my way to addiction. Sometimes walking down the street I'll see a car and think, "I wonder if Acoustic Zen Adagios would look good in that finish?" Do other people check the Speaker-Full Range classifieds 5 times a day? I hope I'm not the only one. (And I'm sorry for bumping up the number of hits on your ads.)

Fifth, I started my Adventures in Audio with a small, fairly inexpensive system (although it was a lot more than I've ever paid for anything that I couldn't live in, or at least drive) for my small office (about 8 x 8). In here, I now have a pair of SET mono amps (Wright Sound), an MFA Magus preamp, and Reference 3A De Capo i speakers. I like the sound of this system very much - lots of air, amazing mids and highs, and decent bass, although a bit thin.

Sixth, I want a different sound for my big living room (35'L x 15'W x 8'H with hard wood floors and not much furniture). This is my family of four's living room, and my system is down at one end, firing across the short width of the room, not down the long length. It's not ideal, but unless I finish off part of my basement (I'm not handy), it's my listening room for now.

Seventh, I'm not looking for the perfect speakers for me, just a good, well-balanced pair that will sound better than the ancient Klipsch Heresy speakers that I'm using now. But don't get me wrong; I like the Klipsches, but liking them too much can suck all the fun out of an audiophile's life. There are too few speakers to try. Work your way up to the Kornerhorn and you're done. Also, the Klipsch speaker is not a subtle speaker. That said, I like the clarity and punch in the mids and highs, but I want more bass.

Eighth, I listen to a lot of soul, funk, jazz, reggae, Afro-beat, and rap, so bass is important. No pipe organ, though, and not much symphonic or orchestral music. Very little classical (or baroque) music, except for those beautiful Mozart pieces for cello, and who doesn't like those?

Ninth (!?), I'd rather go used on Agon than buy new. I'm totally happy trying equipment out and re-selling it here. And I'll build the system around the speakers, but it will be an SS system. I don't want tubes in my living room near my kids. And no massive electrostatic speakers, either, so thanks to the Maggie fans in advance. Some day I'll try them, but I like speakers that 3-year-olds can't push over.

Here's my short list right now. Somehow, none of them seems quite right, but maybe I just need some warm words of encouragement.

Gallo Reference 3.1s. (I read a review - on 6 moons, I think - that says they're giant-killers and well-balanced in every way. I have some negotiating space here, but WAF is low. My wife says they're speakers that are trying too hard to look like people. I showed her some of the Cabasse speakers online. Bet they're creepy at night.)

Acoustic Zen Adagios (Why Mappa Burl? Pink wood with knots? This must be what a speaker designer thinks that our wives will like.)

Vienna Acoustic Strauss (Too warm in a bad way? Too muddy in the bass? There's a pair on Agon now for $2350. Tempting.)

Coincident Super Eclipse (Hyped too hard by Arthur Salvatore?)

Talon Ravens (Tombstones? The WAF factor matters, and she thinks they look a little cemetery-esque, but there might be a little wiggle room here.)

Sonus Faber Grand Piano (Is that pleather on the tops and backs? They'd have to sound really great if it is.)

Amphion Xenon (Impossible to re-sell? Does anyone know about this speaker?)

Joseph Audio RM25si (surprisingly unprepossessing for a speaker with such a high MSRP -- lacking in bass?)

Dynaudio Contour 3.3 (WAF is fine, but not too exciting for me - Generic Tower Speaker Version 1.1)

This post got a little out of control. If you're still with me, thanks for reading, and thanks for any suggestions.

128x128klein_rogge
You don't mention the electronics other than they will be solid state for the living room. My advice is whatever speakers you get pay attention to the amp that is going with them and match/ choose wisely. For solid bass from a full range speaker in a big room you will want a good high current solid state amp (that doubles down) and I defintely recommend a tube preamp to go with it. There are plenty of quality tube preamps with the tubes unexposed to curious kids.
i endorse many of knownothing's picks (i'm a big focal/revel/rega fan); i'd also consider the psb synchrony, von schweikert vr2/vr4jr and vmps rm30. good luck.
I also like the Usher 6311,which I have just replaced with the Opera Secondo.Not as big sounding,but more detailed.There are so many good choices,but you won't know until you get them into your room.If new,allow time foe break-in!
Some of my favs in no particular order (assuming proper amplification to drive each to potential, which will vary):

Dynaudio
Totem
Focal Profile
PSB
OHM Walsh
Magnepan
I would echo Jaybo and advise you to make a day trip to the city and hear a few before you buy. If you really don't want to do that then try to work out a deal with a dealer that will let you try some in your home for 30 days.
And if you can't find a dealer that will work with you you may look at direct sell companies,e.g. Zu, Legacy etc.