Is OPPO worth the inflated price?

I've had my eye on the now discontinued OPPO UDP-205 for some time (more for playing my CD's than for video)  but am discouraged that units which last sold retail for $1299 are now asking $3500. Is this worth it and if so who are the buyers? Would appreciate the group's input. . 
hsc3md
Oppo will provide support for five years (or so I've heard). I own a 205 and don't have any complaints. Is it the best sounding unit on the planet? Probably not but, to me, it's good enough.
Not to me. I paid about $100 more for my 203 than they originally sold for, but 3-4 times? No way. 
I own the 205 and am pleased with it. An Equitech 2Q and some MIT conditioning enhanced its performance significantly, which indicates with good clean power it performs significantly better than most users will ever experience. I’m using Spectral amp and Pre and ref level MIT cabling. I think value now can only be ascertained by considering what you can/will use it for and what it would cost to get comparable performance with other available units. I find it’s upscaling valuable as I enjoy opera on DVD and there are plenty of DVd’s available and only few Bluray. I will use it’s 4K abilities as I’m shopping for a new TV. FWIW. 
I own an Oppo 105D, for which I paid around $1500. Seemed like a great deal at that price, but not at three times that price. If you get a good deal on something, you always remember it. Same holds true for a bad deal!