Klipsch!. The worst speaker company, EVER?

His passionate hatred for Heresy's and other Klipsch speakers made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BELSPBZyoCI
128x128gawdbless

Florida71 wrote: "To each his/her own, but a pair of 12” drivers shouldn’t need a subwoofer."

There is a tradeoff relationship between low-end extension, box size, and efficiency. A high efficiency woofer, regardless of its diameter, has to trade off low-end extension in order to get that high efficiency. Along the way, the lighter cone and powerful magnet make the high efficiency woofer pretty articulate higher up the spectrum. I don’t know the particulars of the woofer in the Heresy, but it probably has a motor-strength-to-moving-mass ratio that compares favorably with cute little audiophile midwoofers.

And here’s how box size fits in: In order to have another octave of low-end extension and maintain the same efficiency, the Heresy would need a box EIGHT TIMES the size. This is assuming a such a woofer exists, and to the best of my knowledge it doesn’t. Much cheaper and more practical to add subs.

One may or may not agree with the tradeoffs Klipsh chose for the Heresy, but imo they did a competent juggling of those tradeoffs.

Duke

See, I never considered the Heresy speakers to be floorstanders or "full range" but more fat and heavy "bookshelf" speakers. With some boundary gain in a small room, they can dig a bit deeper but add a nice, fast, and tight sealed sub to the mix and they can wow many folks.

Bill
@audiokinesis Let's remember also that the Heresy is a sealed design and has no ports to help out with bass extension. 

I'm not sure if mr. horn is just trolling, but many people prefer monitors much smaller than the Heresy with the same or less bass extension and mate them with a subwoofer(s).  Red herring indeed.  There are many ways to skin a cat. 

If you have the space for a set of Cornwalls or Klipschorns, great.  If you prefer their sound, great.

For those that would like something smaller or maybe need to put it in a corner or are going to sit close to the speakers, the Heresy is a nice option.  I have mine in a small office mated to a tube integrated and they sound fantastic.  I have room for a small sub next to them, and have all the bass I want and/or need. 

I set them up in my main system for a few days and while they sounded good there, they don't have the grunt to fill up that much larger room like my KLF-30's or Legacy Audio Focus 20/20's do, but that's not why I bought the Heresy.  

I replaced every driver and the crossovers in my Heresy speakers, not because they sounded bad or even that I thought I had to, mostly just because my Heresy I are about 30 years old and it seemed like a good idea and was relatively inexpensive to do.  I actually thought they sounded worse (more detailed) after I did it, but they have settled down and sound great with tube amplification.

Cornwalls would be ridiculous in my office space.