HELP!!! I need a “GOOD-CHEAP” preamp solution???

I would appreciate the community’s thoughts about replacing my NAD C356 BEE integrated amp (it’s being used as my preamp) in my modest but nice sounding 2 channel audio system. Why replace the NAD? The remote no longer talks to the amp, I’ve already replaced the large pc board ($275) and it’s running hot with a dark brown spot on the blue pc board. Scary. 

Ideally, I’d like a tube preamp as I enjoy the “warmer” side of neutral. Laid back, spongy, non-fatiguing highs, meaty bass is me. Fast, accurate and transparent need not apply.

The digital source includes an older Theta Carmen cd transport to a Cary Audio dac (100 t) with a pair of vintage Mullard 6922’s in the output stage. Off to the NAD to a $400 Emotiva A300 (150w) amplifier. It’s a high gain (28db) and a bit forward/bright with my speakers. The speakers are my first pair of bookshelves. A recent move found the new man-cave just 11’ x 11’ x 9’. They are a nice pair of Focal Chorus 807 V W Prestige bookshelves. A sealed SVS SB-2000 sub fills in the blanks for the Focal bookshelves. Where’s the warm, analog tt you say? It’s coming. Zu Audio rca’s/speaker cabling with Acoustic Zen interconnects and AZ power plugs. 

Now, the big question. I know there’s a ton of options out there. But, what direction to go? Need to think budget (let’s say <$1500) Does a guy gamble and go vintage tube pre or SS used??? Is buying a 90’s preamp risky? For example, a CJ/AR/PSAudio/Classe/McCormick DNA etc. What sounds good? (I know, I know) is reliable and fun to listen to. A pre that might have good synergy with the extended highs and metal tweets (Al/Mag) of the Focals???

Is there a good used, inexpensive and dependable “sleeper” of a preamp (ss or tube) that you like???
keeferdog
Van Alstine 
Quicksilver
Odyssy Candela

ARC SP 15 and above, killer, still supported tank, sounds great

Sonic Frontiers Line 1 or Line 2. Once you have one you’ll never need anything else.
Classe SSP-25 $250-450 if you look or make an offer. Utilitarian in nature but solid 2 channel. Can find a programmable remote if need be. Cheap but been a favored purchase. Sorry, chump change budget dude. I find that I keep spending more though?
Another hearty vote for the Schiit Freya.  I’ve got one and love it.  I’m running a pair of CBS Hytron 6SN7s in the voltage gain and a pair of tung-sols as the followers.
I also have the Emotiva A300. Originally ran it through a rebuilt Conrad Johnson Premier 2, all tube preamp. Still the sound was as yours, forward, bright, grainy and irritating. The CJ slowly expired and too much $ to fix. Got a previously owned Van Alstine SS/ Tube preamp from Van Alstine. Same sound problems. Replaced the Emotiva with a heavily modified Adcom 535 (done by Hoppe's Brain). Huge difference - sweet and rounded, full mids and lower mids. Just budget nice sound. Point is, no matter what you pair the Emotiva with, probably won't tame it. It is what it is.