Question About DACs

My CDP runs an internal Burr-Brown 24-bit DAC, and a Crystal Semiconductor CS8420 sample-rate converter chip that upsamples the CD data to 96kHz. It’s an older CDP obviously, but are the newer external multibit DACs, such as the Schiit Gumby and Bitfrost, far superior to what I have now? Or, would any improvement be a slight one? Thanks.

rlb61
It depends on your current system...IMO If you can tell the difference between different cables then yes you will see better performance,especially in low level detail..
The newer high performing AKM and ESS chips are pretty amazing, of course they have to be properly implemented.
I think there have been big improvements in DACs over just the past few years such that it's possible to get sound quality from inexpensive DACs today that would've cost $5000+ not that long ago.  I'd have to think there could be significant qualitative improvements in one of the newer DACs from Schiit, Metrum, SW1X, etc.  It's certainly worth a look at this point. 
rlb61
but are the newer external multibit DACs, such as the Schiit Gumby and Bitfrost, far superior to what I have now? Or, would any improvement be a slight one? Thanks.

Your MF Nuvista cd runs Delta Sigma dacs PCM1738E’s it was meant to do SACD but there were huge problems at that time with Philips laser drive mechs as the MF Trivista sacd players proved also to be amassive lemon none have survived and can’t be repaired, so it was done CD redbook only with different Sony drive mech.

The Schiit Modi,Gumby, Bitfrost and Yaggy, all in their more expensive option run R2R Multibit dacs, these are the ones getting good reviews.

R2R Multibit is the better dac option to do PCM Redbook with, as it converts "bit perfect", Delta Sigma converts a facsimile of it.

So if your only doing Red book CD then the Schiit ones in R2R Multibit option should be better than your Nuvista, and use your Nuvista as the transport, or sell it and get a Cambridge Audio CXC transport only cd. 

Cheers George
Thanks for the excellent information, George. I'm debating between the Schiit Gumby Multibit and Bitfrost Multibit. Any preference between the two?