Luxman Integrated - What do they sound like

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting myself a late 2018 Christma present or early 2019 birthday present.

Modern Luxman reviews are really hard to come by, and are generally just superlative without being very qualitative. I mean, it's all "rah rah rah!! " and no actual details.
For anyone who has listened to them lately, can you tell me what they actually sound like in comparison to other nice amps I might have heard?

Thank you,
Erik

erik_squires
@erik_squires 

Wow, did I ever spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a direct DAC to amp connection work with a 5.1 receiver. The only good solution I found is from a gear manufacturer who posts a lot on these forums (Steve at Empirical Audio) who makes a beautiful passive switcher. But before I ever got to try it, I ended up being so impressed by how my stereo setup was delivering movies that I dropped the project of restoring my 5.1 setup altogether.................... for now... maybe one day... me too... I hear ya.

Wow, did I ever spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a direct DAC to amp connection work with a 5.1 receiver

I had it relatively easy. I used a Parasound P7, which is actually a really good 2 channel preamp which happens to have 7.1 channel input/outputs, fed by my Oppo BD player. That then fed my 5 amp channels, subwoofer. I used miniDSP for the center and sub only. When you make your own speakers and match them when you build them, you can pretty much do this. :)

I approached the sub/satellite integration as if I was designing speakers, taking into account the measured accoustic offset, and interference patterns and wow. The final result was just mind blowing.

Now I have 3 monoblocks, a DAC, a preamp still in a box, and 3 more class D modules looking for a case .... on top of the 6 speakers (5 of which I made).

It’s a little crazy for an apartment! :)

So, this is why it’s either just an Anthem 5.1 receiver OR a Luxman integrated + the Anthem later, and it’s STILL a lot simpler than putting the pieces back together I have now. :) Honestly a month ago I was pretty sure I was just going to give it all up for an Anthem, then I saw Luxman prices drop by a lot... :)

A real part of the problem is I have a background in theater sound systems. I’m used to making it all work myself, and making things pretty and convenient for myself is actually not something I have prioritized in the past.

Best,

E

Erik, I also have interest in the Luxman.gear.  When you mention that you saw the Luxman prices drop a lot, where are you looking?
@Jetter
From my post above:
There's a US distributor's sale going on readers of this thread might be interested in:

https://onahighernote.com/ex-demo-sales/

Best,
E
Hi Erik, I hope you don't mind that I just started another thread specifically on the L-507ux asking for what I think is a little more direct information on this particular integrated.  Note that the US distributer per your link doesn't have any integrates for sale at this time
George.