Music Streamer Quality

This may be a dumb question but does the quality of a music streamer ultimately affect the sound? So here's some detail. I currently have a Sonos music streamer fed into a Simaudio Moon 300D dac. In the interest of having higher quality sound I could upgrade the dac or I could buy a dac with streaming capability such as the Simaudio 280D. I'm looking at a R2R ladder dac but would have the same Sonos feeding it. Does that make more sense than something like the Moon device? I appreciate an comments.
128x128falconquest
@jmarshak we ended up choosing LUMIN. The hardware is designed like a real CE product, and built like a high-end piece of kit. The software is easy to use and flexible.

@falconquest @nekoaudio - both the mentioned Aurender and LUMIN appear to be really nice audiophile grade components. Interesting.

So, what I was struggling to understand was - what makes a great Steamer?

We know ‘Speed’ of digital packet delivery is important. However, since these are digital packets (zeros and ones), then either the entire digital packet is delivered, or none of it. And if a packet is NOT delivered to the DAC, I believe the worst that can happen - is that the music will stop until the device buffers back up and then the music will restart again. And as long as your internet connection and streamer is fast enough, you should not have this problem.

So what are the other hardware / software characteristics of a good Steamer?

@jmarshak well, two of the key software components are the user experience and whether or not your use cases and other components are supported.

Aurender, LUMIN, BluOS, HEOS, Sonos, etc. all have different user interfaces and support different features with their branded software. That can anything from box art to languages to device/app settings to widgets (control elements).

Some devices work with third party software and protocols, whether that be Roon, Tidal, Quboz, AirPlay, UPnP, OpenHome, SMB, SSDP, etc. And that compatibility may be better or worse, more or less reliable. If the product forces you to jump through a lot of hoops to do what you want, that's not as good as one that works with whatever you already have or use.

In terms of hardware, superficially there is the form factor and I/O ports, but past that are the actual design considerations such as internal shielding, circuit design, component choice, etc.

Hardware and software choices can have an impact on network quality and behavior (e.g. Wii versus Xbox or PlayStation, iOS versus some Android ).

One of the most fundamental choices a manufacturer needs to make is if the device will be more like a general purpose computer or more like a traditional CE device running embedded software. That has a large influence on the hardware and how things will work, before the user-visible software is ever considered.

I would add a third aspect which is manufacturer/dealer support. If a user runs into a bug or incompatibility, or has network issues, is the manufacturer able to provide high quality support? Is the dealer expected to support the user instead? Or some combination of both? The hardware and software will have an impact on how much support users will require, and the degree of sophistication needed to resolve issues by the support person and possibly also the user.
A streamer absolutely makes a difference. No question about it. There are people who would argue a streamer is even more important than the DAC.

You can choose to buy a good streamer, and try for yourself, or listen to the Archimago cult, who think that a Chromecast Audio would do just as good.