Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
@shkong78 I wish I could tell you the 3400 bests the 2170 in sound quality, but I never heard the 2170 to compare them. I would assume it could potentially sound better since you have much more headroom which would hopefully equal less distortion at similiar volume levels.
I went and demoed the Lyngdorf 2170 with Paradigm Persona 5F speakers. They are not that hard to drive. I was not impressed by the amplification on the Lyngdorf. When I switched to Lyngdorf pre-amp output to a Simaudio 860A amp the sound was incredible. Now I am a little puzzled by this given the raves that people on here are stating about the Lyngdorf. I did not have ROOM Perfect enabled since the room was rather nice to work with.

My question here is, does the amplification stage of the Lyngdorf need a lot of hours to sound good? This was a demo unit at a dealer. I forgot to ask how many hours it had on it. Though the preamp section sounded incredible. The unit was not plugged in when I came into the store and I got the impression it had not been played for a while.

I am considering doing a comparison of the Lyngdorf with the Linn SELEKT DSM with DSP enabled. You can ditch the amplification module on the Linn, and use an external amp, but you cannot remove the amp on the Lyngdorf. However, given my research on the various flavors of DSP and my demo of the Lyngdorf I am inclined to buy the Lyngdorf and a separate power amp. More costly to me but I need a DSP preamp and the Lyngdorf seems like it has a good combination of ease of use and quality (except maybe the amp).

Anybody using a separate amp with the Lyngdorf? Are you also hearing improved sound with the separate amp? Or did I just experience a demo of an 2170 amplification stage needed more running in?

Rereading this long thread I saw the following quote.

Lyngdorf will need the following to sound its best;

- let it burn in for at least 200 hours before any decision making critical listening
- needs a good power cord and conditioner
- leave it fully on. It sounds much better after being on 12 hours. Leave it on, not in standby.

I probably posted this at least a dozen times on this thread and others but yes I have tried many other solid-state and tube amps with the 2170.

The 2170 always sounded better by itself. Yes you should’ve run room correction and that is my quote above suggesting that the unit should be left on for best sound.

It is impossible for me or even you to know how that amp really sounds based on one visit to a store.Everything matters when it comes to getting the best sound out of this unit. The cabling being used is important and room correction is certainly an aspect that should have been turned on to at least listen to.

Anyway, in the end you will have to listen to it in your own space and determine if you want an additional amp. The unit is not made to use an additional amp to sound it’s best. The possible exception would be using the digital out in which you could use the 2400 amp.In fact the analog outputs and additional interconnect and connectors nullify one of the greatest aspects of this unit which is the short signal paths and built in synergy.
What grannyring said I totally agree with. And I will emphasize the need to evaluate equipment in your listening environment. You have zero idea what's going on with the set-up at that dealer. He apparently has a demo 2170. Take it home and listen to it.