The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
Ric, I found it, but I don't see anything specific about mono v stereo. That said, my last 4 class Ds were monos. Only my current AA PA -1 is stereo. Too bd your amps aren't ready

I have a chance to do a swap with a guy who has the AA monos for my stereo amp +  $$$, but as class D is evolving so quickly, I am concerned that I will not be able to get anywhere near what I am paying, which is 50% off MSRP

"are you listening to your self"

Nope, I'm listening to music and working on folks' systems who have Class A, AB and D. No need to guess George when I'm doing. Oh, and since you mention roomtune, go ahead and type roomtune into a search engine. RoomTune started with me George. How do you think the hobby got the term room tuning. Look it up for yourself in TAS, Stereophile or any other audiophile magazine when they covered "RoomTune" from 1990 on. This is where you insert your snappy put down_________:) But just remember George those magazines have already been printed many years ago. It's call audio history. You don't have to like it, just like you don't have to like Class D amps. You also don't have to like me, but your missing out on a fun audio guy.

http://www.michaelgreenaudio.net/

I think some guys here try to hard to be relevant and it causes them to become the opposite from what the hobby is and is about, the enjoyment of listening to music. I think most here have experience with A, AB and some D. And with that experience a respect is given to all the amp types. I personally think the OP is pretty clear. "the future of audio amplification" It's not a trick question, and it's not a put down for what any may like the most. Trying to tell all of us that we're going to someday see innovation stop, well that's simply not going to happen. I don't care if the next Class is W, innovation is the future.

Michael Green

Tweak1,

The person in the thread bought two stereo amps and is using them as monos.  He did not A/B using one stereo amp versus mono (however. I have and it is not close....you want dual mono IceEdge).  He just listened to dual mono.  However, since the Hypex modules are dual mono it makes it a fairer evaluation.  Basically he is saying that his dual mono stock IceEdge amps beat the dual mono Nord one up mono blocks (with Sonic Imagery op amps).

As kosst alluded to, class D is not a new technology and was developed largely by Phillips for the sake of specific engineering requirements such as one would find in an hearing aid for example.  Class D has had a renaissance of late due in part to engineering or rather manufacturing convenience (who wouldn't want a kit you could pop in an aftermarket box).  

No one has provided a logical, technical counterpoint to kosst's argument regarding class D other than experiential vignettes.

I for one have owned the gamut of amplification (including several class D variants with multiple iterations of Hypex and a DIY amp from Class D Audio).  Class D was pleasant enough (with a tubed pre-amp), but failed to hold my attention and seemed vaguely flat and bleached for lack of a better description.  I have regressed back into the archaic world of tubes (Trafomatic 300B integrated) and the music is back.  To each his own.  With audiophiles, the rubber meets with the road with duration of ownership.