OPINIONS PLEASE - Phonostage for new Rega P8/Apheta 2 - Sutherland 20/20 or Allnic 1201

OPINIONS PLEASE - Phonostage for new Rega P8/Apheta 2 - Down to Sutherland 20/20 or Allnic 1201 phonostages. Can anyone tell me anything about either? Would consider other in this price new/used but these seem pretty good.

I have got down to these two mainly for price (under $2k) and where my simple research has led. 

I am big into Digital and want to play around with some decent vinyl.

Nothing crazy but good enough that my Bricasti MISE w/Built in Ethernet Media Player doesn't blow it away so I am trying to put together a decent enough vinyl front end that will sound good enough that I want to use it. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Background:

I recently ordered new speakers that should be in a few weeks. Time for me to set up my vinyl front end to prepare for them. I am trading my Magico S5 for S5 MK II. 

Room is 12 x 23 w/Cathedral Ceilings - 15 Foot a peak - Set on long wall

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35630112@N05/46190013771/in/dateposted-public/

Music: Assorted Music no metal or loud hard rock anymore really - not much Large Scale classical either but everything else.

Likes: Transparency- Delicate-linear-Dynamic-Fast - high resolution-microscope but not sterile not etched or lifeless - I know there is a fine Line here but I'm looking to walk it and come out on the right side - but real see through into the music with some sheen and dabs of warmth - transparent to the source because I love my DAC - image and sound stage lover - tight bass - hate flab - like speed and transparency as my selection choices might speak to

From Audiogon Virtual System page:
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5160

Associated Equipment:

> Digital:
- DAC: Bricasti Design M1 Special Edition DAC 
- Digital Transport: Bricasti M12 Built-In Ethernet Network Player

> Analogue:
- Turntable: Rega Planer 8
- Tonearm: Rega RB880 Tonearm
- Cartridge: Rega Alpheta 2 MC

> Preamplification:
- Linestage: Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Reference Preamplifer 
- Phonostage:TBD

> Amplification:
- Power Amplifier: Pass Labs X250.8 Stereo Amplifier

> Loudspeakers:
- Transducers: Magico S5 MKII Reference Loudspeakers MCast Pewter, (Trading S5 MK I)

> Power Supplies:
- Linear Power Supplies: Uptone Audio JS-2 (2-Rail) Linear Power Supply, The Linear Solution LPS-912 Network Switch Proprietary Linear Power Supply, Breeze Audio 12v Linear Power Supplies (2-units),
- Switching Mode Power Supplies: iFi Audio iPower 9V DC
- Turntable Power Supply: Rega Neo PSU 

> AC Power:
- Conditioning: PS Audio Noise Harvesters (6) 
- Outlets: Furutech GTX (R), Oyaide R1 Beryllium (2),
- Surge / Spike Protection: Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula
- Power Strip: PS Audio Juice Bar MK II

> Audio Network Server / Hardware / Software:  
- Servers: Small Green Computer SonicTransporter,
- Storage: WD My Cloud 12v 2TB NAS, 
- PC: Qotom 190S Dual-Port - Baytrail J1900 12v Micro-PC
- Network Switch: The Linear Solution OCXO Audiophile Switch,
- Audio Software: Sonic Orbiter,  ROON 1.4

> Cables:
- Interconnect Cables: Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion XLR 2.0M, Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion XLR 1.5M, Darwin Ascension RCA 0.5M, 
- Speaker Cables: Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion 2.5M Spades,
- AC Cables : Kubala-Sosna Emotion AC 2.0M (2) Kubala-Sosna Elation AC 1.5M, Zu Event MK I AC 1.5M (3)  
- DC Cables: Gent Audio Custom DC Cables (Canare/Oyaide) (6), Upton Audio DC Cable 1M 
- USB: Audiocadabra Ultimus3 Double-Head Silver USB Cable, Curious Regen link, Uptone Audio USPCB A/B USB 
- Digital: Black Cat Silverstar 75 BNC/RCA 1.0M, MIT Terminator-3 RCA 1.0M, DH Labs Silver Sonic D-75 RCA 1.0M (2), Tara Labs Prism 100dx-1 Tosilink 1M.
- HDMI: AudioQuest Chocolate 1.0M, AudioQuest Forest 3.0M,
- Ethernet: AudioQuest Vodka RJ/E 1.0M, Cardas Clear RJ/E 0.5M, The Linear Solution Custom RJ/E 1.5M.

> Sundries / Accessories:
- Audio Racks: Solid Tech Hybrid 3+3 Shelves Audio Rack w/White Shelves and Silver Pillars, Solid Tech Rack of Silence Amplifier Stand
- Isolation Devices: SRA Ohio Class Isolation Platform, Symposium Acoustics Svelte Plus Isolation Platform, Isoacoustic Iso-pucks (8), Red Dragon Audio Ceramic Cable Elevators (4), EdenSound Brass Vibration Weights (8), Bright Star IsoNode Footers,
- Re-clock/Tester: DROK USB Multi-meter/Tester, Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Femto.

- Fsmithjack

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
fsmithjack,

I did the same and for the same reasons a few months back when I ditched my VPI unipivot and went for the RP-10/Apheta 2 combo.  No regrets.  
fsmithjack-

your previous rig unquestionably was up to the task. Something was amiss there.

Being a VPI owner, can't recall ever reading feedback from other VPI owners with the DL S1.
It is a known great cart, but being a very low gain, it does require extra attention to details. Did the supposed "guru" suggest a different cart. That could have been the game changer.  A higher gain model and loose the step up?

Doesn't matter, you have a great table. It's supposed to be nicer than the RP8

This is the "BEST" phonostage based on price/performance at the moment

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/cary-audio/products/cary-audio-ph-302-mk-ii-phonostage

All tube, including rectifier. Upgraded parts. I would jump on this if I didn't already have a tube unit.

What the heck is "best?" It subjective.

Oh yes I agree. It was an $8,000ish table / arm and a $11,500 pre/phono set up and it sounded like a alarm clock radio of sorts.

Not that bad I'm kidding but nothing even close to my digital. 

The analogue guru was amazed when he heard my digital. Said is was the best he ever heard with any source but he is more of an old school vintage audio system kind of guy.

Awesome guy that spent hours trying to help me out. Would not take a dollar at end of night as I assumed he would all along which stunk because I could not ask him to come back after I bought another cart so now I was back to square one.  

I would only invite him to hang and listen but not work on my system because I felt bad and that would be wrong.

Such a nice guy that I didn't even know and only met he read one of my posts and offered to come over to help as he was local to me. He was really cool and knowledgeable so at lease we had fun listening to music. 

He told me his 20 year vintage table sounded 1000 times better and something was wrong with the set up. He was thinking cart/phono match maybe.

I then bough the step up after thinking it might help but the 326s is a decent unit and known more for the pre but it has mc ability and still nothing.

I was going to buy another cart then I don't know how to mount and reading about it only makes things worse to a newbie. Needless to say table sat for weeks and I said "see yea" and dumped it all. Got most my money back and just spent time and focus on my beloved digital..

Now I am back and went the Rega - premounted cart rout and hope it sounds nice and works well.  

tablejockey

Thanks - no one has ever mentioned this Cary phono to me? Is it in the same league as the Allnic 1201, Sutherland Duo or the venerable and universally loved  Herron VTPH-2A? 
Thanks 
fsmithjack-

The Cary has been out for sometime. I haven't personally heard it. There are reviews/threads which seem favorable. 

Based on this, and Cary's reputation,  I wouldn't worry about it undeserving your Rega. Especially since it's the latest iteration w/ additional upgraded parts.